Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

Censorship and swearing - Page 1

Censorship and swearing

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-06-03 11:36:41
I have finally gotten a working Censorship system on the board. All words considered worse than "crap" are filtered and replaced by asterisks. This is enabled by default.

As necessary as this is to "sanitize" the forums for little kids, however, I do not believe in forced censorship - instead I belive in maximizing Freedom of Speech. Therefore, censorship can be turned off and on on a per-user basis.

If you wish to disable the filter for your account, go to the Look and Layout Preferences and check "Leave words uncensored".

To test if the filter is enabled or disabled on your account, take a look at this word: shit. If it is all asterisks/stars (*'s), you have the censor enabled.

Addendum: There is no rule forbidding swearing at GCLF - it is up to the reader to decide whether or not to filter "strong language". However, posts are expected to be kept in line with the rules; i.e. no flaming, adult materal, no stupidity etc.

However, THESE are the rules regarding swearing:
1.: DO NOT TRY TO BYPASS THE CENSOR! BTW There will soon be an automated system preventing BBcode-based censor bypasses installed. See a link later in this thread to take it for a test drive. Warn-o-meter +10 to +50 depending on the swears used
2.: Since the reader is now given the option to censor the forums, moderators must not manually censor words! Warn-o-meter +15

Addendum - since this was not made perfectly clear it seems, using asterisks to censor out some of your own text is NOT "bypassing", and it is allowed. Censor bypass is defined as tricking the censor into not censoring the actual word.

Re: Censorship and swearing

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-06-03 21:22:12
Finally, this works. This is a great idea–I've actually considered putting something like this in the forum system I was attempting to make a while back. This way, everyone will be happy, instead of either those who are for or against censorship being frustrated.

Edit: And as an addition to what Abwayax said above, "Censor Bypassing" (That is, putting a space or BBCode tags or something else inside a swear word so the filter won't catch it) is a punishable offense, albeit a minor one. You will be warned the first time it happens.

Date: 2006-06-03 23:56:41
Ace, I've ofteh brainstormed about a way to prevent such bypassing. I'm not sure if I could implement it here…

Date: 2006-06-04 02:47:32

Ace, I've ofteh brainstormed about a way to prevent such bypassing. I'm not sure if I could implement it here…
As have I… *Wonders if our ideas are the same* :P

Date: 2006-06-04 03:53:44
Perhaps they are. :P

Anyway, I've developed a test engine for my idea. I suppose you could try it out here (except use HTML instead of BBcode).

Date: 2006-06-08 21:20:22
Hey Abwayax, I've noticed that the automatic censors don't apply to the browser title bar and the topic title bar (the one with the grey background at the top of the thread). Maybe you could fix that?

Date: 2006-06-08 21:23:45

Hey Abwayax, I've noticed that the automatic censors don't apply to the browser title bar and the topic title bar (the one with the grey background at the top of the thread). Maybe you could fix that?

Yeah, Locke pointed that out to me in AIM just a few seconds ago! XD

I'll see what I can do.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2006-06-25 23:16:18
if we said the F-word, would we get in trouble?

Date: 2006-07-01 21:56:39

if we said the F-word, would we get in trouble?

Not necessarily.

Date: 2006-07-10 11:03:34
Abwayax, I've noticed that the filter doen't necessarily cover all swear words. Could you possibly post/PM me the name of the PHP file containing the censorship function so that I can fix it?

Date: 2006-07-10 12:14:29

Abwayax, I've noticed that the filter doen't necessarily cover all swear words. Could you possibly post/PM me the name of the PHP file containing the censorship function so that I can fix it?

It covers some. I designed it only as a demonstration, the code is only designed to censor the words in this array:
$stuffToCensor = Array(
"(the F word)" => "****",
"(the S word)" => "****",
"(the shorter B word)" => "*****",
"(the longer B word)" => "*******",
);

The array could be extended to include the entire censor list on the forums, but as I said before, it is only a demo. If (or when) the code is ported to the forums, it will use the forums' list.

Date: 2006-07-10 18:05:53

It covers some. I designed it only as a demonstration, the code is only designed to censor the words in this array:
$stuffToCensor = Array(
);

The array could be extended to include the entire censor list on the forums, but as I said before, it is only a demo. If (or when) the code is ported to the forums, it will use the forums' list.
But could you tell me which file this list is in, so I can patch it up now? I've looked through a bunch of PHP files, but haven't found this function.

Date: 2006-07-10 18:49:50

$stuffToCensor = Array(
);

But could you tell me which file this list is in, so I can patch it up now? I've looked through a bunch of PHP files, but haven't found this function.

There is no need to patch anything. This is not a bug, I simply threw together a bunch of words. It will use the real list if implemented in the forums.

The PHP file is: http://glitchcity.ath.cx/scripts/checkbypass.php. It does not make any calls to functions inside SMF code.

Date: 2006-07-10 22:29:40

$stuffToCensor = Array(
);

There is no need to patch anything. This is not a bug, I simply threw together a bunch of words. It will use the real list if implemented in the forums.

The PHP file is: http://glitchcity.ath.cx/scripts/checkbypass.php. It does not make any calls to functions inside SMF code.
No, I don't think you understand what I mean: The censorship function that we use now does not cover all swear words–only those four. I wanted to add a few that you missed to the list to make it complete. I'm looking for the file that contains the censorship functions that the forum is using now.

Date: 2006-07-10 23:17:03

$stuffToCensor = Array(
);

No, I don't think you understand what I mean: The censorship function that we use now does not cover all swear words–only those four. I wanted to add a few that you missed to the list to make it complete. I'm looking for the file that contains the censorship functions that the forum is using now.

Its in the database, and only I have access to that.

The words in the database are - the F word, the S word, the C word (worse than crap), both B words, the N word, and one word that is censored to "arsehole".

The words crap, damn, hell, and ass are not censored.