Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

Trying something out. - Page 1

Trying something out.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-12-17 02:46:24
Yeah. See, the thing about post counts is that some are worrying that it encourages spam. To that end, I'm going to see what happens to the community when I remove the post count.

If things don't work out very well then the post count and all the pretty little post ranks are returned by Christmas.

Edit: You'll also notice that the staff don't have italic usernames anymore. Bleh, I thought it looked tacky, and somewhat excessive given that we have rank icons already.

Oh and whatever the hell happened to Valued Contributor is fixed.

Re: Trying something out.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-12-17 13:42:33
That's a bit hard to get used to.

Posted by: hoggins
Date: 2007-12-17 14:29:01
Why would it encourage spam? Surely everyone knows that the Admins could lower it anyway?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-17 14:45:09
Well now you don't have to worry about it.

Date: 2007-12-17 15:04:28
When did that happen-people believing that the post count meant it was time for lots of spam? Can you show an example from this website showing someone with this mindframe?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-18 15:44:40
Because some people, saying no names, have more than a thound posts in a much shorter time than all the big contributors. So if they are not classed big in the glitches then obviously a lot has to be spam.

Date: 2007-12-18 16:00:49
Not necessarily. I don't think a good member necessarily has to be one who contributes a lot to the glitches. Some of the higher positioned members (much like you, I shan't disclose any names) might believe that you should use Gameshark and contribute majorly to the glitch project or you shall be considered a MAJOR spammer, but I don't think being able to contribute to the glitch project should be a requirement for being a good member. I mean, if this site were all about glitch contributions, we wouldn't have Multimedia discussion, any of the Creative Works or Off Topic forums, Calendar Events would only be for major glitch projects, and there would be no general discussion either.

Oh no. I fear I've given you all ideas. Now you're going to delete some of those boards, I fear. Especially Multimedia Discussion…

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-12-18 16:58:12
Well, given that you're pissed about it, then you must have some value in that huge-as-fuck number on your profile. Postcount-itis can be fatal.

Quality vs quantity, and obviously a glitch forum finds glitch-related posts to be of more quality than topics of nothing but Led Zeppelin lyrics. Oh yeah, and so many of your posts are stuff like "waah, wahh no one likes me I'm going to leave" (despite the fact that you never do). Some people are convinced that such stuff constitutes spam. Personally I think you're a decent poster now, but some seem to disagree.

Really good posts are rewarded with a Member+ promotion. Average posts (which is what most posting on this forum consists of) is allowed, and even encouraged. Bad posts (i.e. spam) is punishable. We're not trying to suppress non-glitch discussion, which is why we have off-topic boards.

Date: 2007-12-18 17:24:30
Yes. I do apologize if I've been seen as a annoying spammer on this site. I ought to mention that I have a hard time considering I have ADHD and have matured slower than most people my age have. I have a hard time controlling myself.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2007-12-18 18:08:09
Well, given that you're pissed about it, then you must have some value in that huge-as-fuck number on your profile. Postcount-itis can be fatal.

My response to that:

To those who are pissed about the post count being removed, it's just a freaking number.  Why are you getting mad that we took away a useless, meaningless number? If you're pissed at the fact that your huge number is removed, put some large-ass number in your sig in a spoiler tag. 

Either that or accept the number in this post: 9001

[size=1pt]Now I wait for people who are offended by this post to say something :\[/size]

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-12-18 18:16:07
It was me that asked for post counts to be banned in one of our secret staff boards, and all the staff members agreed.

My reasons:
1. The lack of a record of post count takes away a reason for people to spam. This also means future spammers.
2. Post counts cause inferiority complexes to some. So they might decide to start posting lower-quality posts to try to boost their count up and feel all "superior" and stuff.
3. There was a huge increase in people with over 1,000 posts while I was away. Even though I didn't read most of their posts, it's quite impossible to make hundreds of good and/or useful posts in a month or two.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-12-18 18:21:03

[size=1pt]Now I wait for people who are offended by this post to say something :\[/size]

Hiyo!

(Post counts are fine to have, but removal of post counts is no big deal either)

Date: 2007-12-18 18:21:47
I'm not upset, I'm just saying, it's going to take a while to get used to.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-12-19 10:14:24

Yes. I do apologize if I've been seen as a annoying spammer on this site. I ought to mention that I have a hard time considering I have ADHD and have matured slower than most people my age have. I have a hard time controlling myself.

Just because you have that doesn't mean that you have to spam.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-12-19 12:49:53
Good idea actually, but I doubt it would really change much. At least we can still check post count. And I like that admin positions aren't italicized anymore. That looks better.