Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

Grammar - Page 1

Grammar

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-07-13 21:42:27
-BROCCO GUY'S GRAMMAR GUIDE-

You saw this coming.

Preliminary Grammar Notes:
Please note that every personal pronoun is capitalized, (eg. Names, cities), single 'I's are capitalized and every sentence ends in a period.

1. Apostrophes
Misuse of apostrophes is, and will always be, my biggest pet peeve. They are so often used incorrectly, especially in the case of possessive ITS. As a general rule, an apostrophe comes in place of a vowel.  (eg. It's (It is), They're (They are) and Don't (Do not)) However, when used with the letters ITS, they get a different spin.

ITS is odd in its way of having no apostrophe be possessive. When you say 'It's' you are saying it is, but if you say 'Its' you are saying that the object in question belongs to, or pertains to, 'It'. To remember this in simpler terms, if 'Her' fits logically where you want to put 'Its', you are putting the correct format. If 'It is' fits logically, you should use 'It's'.

In other cases apostrophe S is used to describe possession, whereas S at the end of a word is used for plural. (eg. Jack's Pianos, Jack having mulitple pianos.)

2. Commas
Commas are used as a breather in a sentence. If you want to add a pause to a sentence, you would use a comma. If you want to seperate two or more things, you would use a comma. (eg. 'I thank my parents, Jack and Jill.' In this you are thanking your parents and stating their names. In 'I thank my parents, Jack, and Jill' you are saying that you thank your parents, a person named Jack and a person named Jill.)

The book Eats, Shoots and Leaves makes a good point in the title by simply using excessive commas to portray verbs instead of nouns. The Panda 'eats shoots and leaves', not the Panda 'eats, shoots, and leaves.' In the former it says that the Panda eats certain foods, whereas in the second it says that the Panda walks in, eats food, shoots people and leaves.

By using excessive commas, it is hard to understand you and you could have a totally different meaning than what you intended. If you use commas correctly, you are easier to understand.

3. I Versus Me
I and me are often misused. (eg. Peter and me are going on a walk, That book belongs to Peter and I.) Those are both wrong. The easiest way to figure this out is to take away the name. 'Peter and me' becomes me and 'Peter and I' becomes I. After this it is easy to see which is which.

In general, I refers to the person performing the verb, whereas me refers to the person that the verb is happening to.

For the case of Us Versus We, just use 'we' where you could use I and 'us' for where you could use me.

4. Affect Versus Effect
This rule, like the I Versus Me rule, is easy to grasp and only takes a bit of brainspace. Affect is used as a verb, whereas effect is used as a noun. (eg. I affect the Goats, the Goats do not like the effect.) In this case, I am doing something to the Goats, and thus affecting them. They do not like the effect of what I am doing to them. Affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

(MORE TO COME.)

Re: Grammar

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-07-13 22:58:00

Apostrophes are, and will always be, my biggest pet peeve.

They are? Sounds like you mean the misuse of apostrophes.

/pedant

Date: 2009-07-14 08:25:29
No, I hate them. Period. But I will edit that.

EDIT: Done. I also added in a comma section.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-07-14 13:16:11
Helpful to the newbies!

Date: 2009-07-14 13:41:14
That's why I'm writing it.

Finished I Versus Me.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-07-14 19:11:54
This should be in Forum Announcements. It should be linked to in the board description, in fact.

Date: 2009-07-15 10:31:48
Someone move, please?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-07-15 17:30:16
Done.

Posted by: Don Watermeleon
Date: 2009-07-15 22:08:26
If someone ever gets banned for using an apostrophe wrong or typing "me" in a nominative clause, I'm going to facepalm.  :-\

But thanks for writing this up. The grammar on GCL isn't that bad, but I can tell you put a lot of effort in this and it should help some new users.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-07-15 23:53:45

If someone ever gets banned for using an apostrophe wrong or typing "me" in a nominative clause, I'm going to facepalm.  :-\

But thanks for writing this up. The grammar on GCL isn't that bad, but I can tell you put a lot of effort in this and it should help some new users.
Dons back!
Also, I agree

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2009-07-16 00:53:11
Stickied because of usefulness and awesomeness. 

EDIT: Linked to in the fourm rules.

Date: 2009-07-16 11:25:09

Everyone's coming back, it seems.

Date: 2009-07-16 17:19:09
Finished up I Versus Me with the addition of Us Versus We, or maybe I should put it We Versus Us? I also added Affect Versus Effect.

Posted by: Thomas
Date: 2009-07-16 17:22:05

Everyone's coming back, it seems.

Like me for example.

For some reason, I often mix up "now" and "know" when I write. Don't ask me why, but it's always been a problem for me and I have no idea why.

This should help new members.

Date: 2009-07-16 18:31:58
I remember in the 3rd grade when I forgot how to spell "of" for a day.
Good times…