Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Do I have the beta Pokemon Red or a messed up ROM? - Page 1

Do I have the beta Pokemon Red or a messed up ROM?

Posted by: PokemonPichu
Date: 2006-04-16 13:16:39
Well, I once had a Pokemon Red ROM that had Professor Oak's lab as rocks and Pallet Town had a gym. But when I entered the gym I got teleported to the inside of my house. And when I walked out I couldn't go back in the house. The only way in was the gym. I deleted it, but I kept a backup of it. Today, I was on another site with a screenshot of Oak's lab full of rocks! So I thought that the game might be the beta version! Does anyone else think so too?

Re: Do I have the beta Pokemon Red or a messed up ROM?

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-04-16 14:12:33
I have two questions:
1. Where is the site?
2. Do you still have that backup rom?

If this is indeed the beta… then it's an amazing find.

Date: 2006-04-16 15:11:26
Yes, I still have the rom. It's at this site: http://pokeglitch.tripod.com/id5.html. Scroll down to Make Oak Dissappear and there will be the rock lab screenshot.

Date: 2006-04-16 15:15:34
I see the screenshots, but no rom download. Could you email it to abwayax@glitchcity.ath.cx ?

Date: 2006-04-16 15:39:03
Okay.  ;)

Date: 2006-04-16 16:27:10
Got it. Thank you, this may be big…

Date: 2006-04-16 16:31:49
There could be some cool glitches on there!  ;D

Date: 2006-04-16 16:38:41
Having played the "beta" version, I have come to the conclusion that it is NOT a beta, just a hacked version of the final game.

It is very easy to put a gym in Pallet Town. Even I can do it. :)

Edit: If you're wondering how I came to that conclusion:
* Aside from the Pallet gym and the modified Oak's Lab, the game plays exactly the same as normal
* The normal gameshark codes still work (If it was a beta, its coding would be noticeably different)
* If it was a beta, it would be in Japanese, not English. The Pokemon game was programmed by Japanese people, then translated into English.

Date: 2006-04-16 16:56:45
Oh, okay. Thanks for seeing if it's a beta rom or not.  :)

Posted by: DynaShock
Date: 2006-04-17 10:48:51
It WOULD be kewl if there WAS a beta out there somewhere..
I always thought it'd be called Pokemon. JUST Pokemon. >_<

Posted by: Radio F Software
Date: 2006-04-22 20:33:30

It WOULD be kewl if there WAS a beta out there somewhere..
I always thought it'd be called Pokemon. JUST Pokemon. >_<

Beta versions of games that are produced mainly by Nintendo or offshoots of Nintendo are VERY rare, because Nintendo is VERY hush hush about what they are working on, and they don't give out review copies willy-nilly like other game companies.

Normally, betas that DO surface (like Sonic 2 Beta) are true betas that were given to video game magazines for them to preview and post screenshots of, etc. Sega was notorious for handing betas for preview purposes and having some of them turn up elsewhere.

It'd be safe to say Nintendo watches every preview copy they make like a hawk…. but I'm sure years down the road one of them will turn up. Surprizingly pirate cartridges are VERY good sources to find betas in. Many games sometimes appear in beta or different form whenever they're on a pirated cart, and since GB was a cartridge system, somewhere out there there MIGHT be a "Pokemon Red" in some Brazilian pirat cart that's not the final version. :)