Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Anything you have to rant or make fun about Pokemon? - Page 1

Anything you have to rant or make fun about Pokemon?

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-07-24 15:34:14
I have two things:

First, why isn't Gyarados Water/Dragon instead of Water/Flying? Gyarados doesn't look like it could even fly, and it looks a lot like an Asian dragon. I seriously think it was Water/Flying because of a mistake that one of the staff in Game Freak made, but they didn't bother to fix it. Hell, it looks more like a dragon than most of the Pokemon in the Dragon-type group!

Second, the translators of the English version of Pokemon really fail at making the Day Care family friendly. They tried to little kids think that eggs appear out of nowhere at the Pokemon Day Care. (or at least make them think old people don't know about sex) But instead, they made me and a few other people on IRC think that the Day Care is a freaking love hotel for Pokemon due to what the old man says.

Take two Pokemon that have traveled together since when you started being a Pokemon Trainer, so they'd most likely be best friends, and could often like to play with each other. They are both male or female, and you leave them in the Day Care. Would the old man say that they play often together? No. Instead, he'd say that they prefer to play with other Pokemon more than with each other. Now, take "play" in a perverted sense. You see what I'm saying?

Re: Anything you have to rant or make fun about Pokemon?

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-07-27 11:47:28
It's simple game mechanics, blame the creators!

Posted by: flygonlover
Date: 2007-07-27 14:30:46
Frankly, I'm suprised it took until D/P for Game Freak to use the word "noob" in a game.

Also, you should be able to change the clock in R/S/E.

I agree with you about the whole day care thing.

…Some things are just screwy.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-07-27 15:51:31

Frankly, I'm suprised it took until D/P for Game Freak to use the word "noob" in a game.

They are becoming hip cool 'n' 'appening
I wondered about that.

There was another phrase.. but I forgot it. that was HCNA too.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-07-27 16:03:26

Er…. Who says n00b?

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-08-03 16:35:51

I dislike the fact that Pokemon Diamond and Pearl has the word "noob" in it. It makes them seem less serious. :\

If a person played Pokemon GSC and finished it without ever seeing anything else Pokemon-related, they would most likely think it's not kiddy.

But if a person played Pokemon DP and finished it without seeing anything else Pokemon-related, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was kiddy.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-08-04 22:14:13

First, why isn't Gyarados Water/Dragon instead of Water/Flying? Gyarados doesn't look like it could even fly, and it looks a lot like an Asian dragon. I seriously think it was Water/Flying because of a mistake that one of the staff in Game Freak made, but they didn't bother to fix it. Hell, it looks more like a dragon than most of the Pokemon in the Dragon-type group!

Because Water/Dragon Gyarados would have been broken – only one weakness, and the only move of that type in RBY was Dragon Rage. As it is the only thing stopping him from being next to Mewtwo in RBY is his weakness to electric.

I guess I'll post something I did at SPPf a bit ago, it was about remakes but it's relevant to Pokemon as a whole.

I guess I'll post my views again.

I honestly don't want a remake of Gold and Silver.

First off, people who mention "graphics" shouldn't do so, as the newer Pokemon games have barely improved the graphics at all (for an example of what the GBA's capable of, try Golden Sun or FFTA, or even Telefang of "Pokemon Diamond" fame). And GSC's graphics were far from the level that made it unplayable.

Yes, Gold and Silver were undoubtedly imperfect. So was RBY, which was horribly broken and had huge glitches everywhere. However, I consider FireRed and LeafGreen to be worse than the originals, specifically because it tried to do too much. By adding to the original source material, they lost the simplicity that made the original games so accessible. At the same time, they brought back (!) some of the annoyances of the older games. They even added filler material that was completely useless and, worse, could not be turned off. Now when I play RBY, I can't help but think "hey, they replaced that with malevolent" every time I see "evil spirit."

Maybe I wouldn't be so hostile to the idea of a well-made remake. One that didn't add in useless fluff and did keep the spirit of the originals, and managed to avoid Nintendo's censors that are reminding us of the early '90s.

But based on Game Freak's previous attempts, I doubt they would do it that well.

Another, bigger reason that makes me so disagreeable is the entire concept of a remake. Why would you pay to play through the same game you played eight years ago when you've bought it already? It's a sign of a bigger problem, that of a lack of ideas.

Game Freak is a small company, but they've done more than just Pokemon. But how much more?

Mendel Palace (NES, 1989)
Mario & Yoshi (NES, 1991)
Mario & Yoshi (GB, 1991)
Smart Ball (SNES, 1991)
Magical Taruruuto-kun (GEN, 1992)
Mario & Wario (SNES, 1993)
Nontan to Issho! Kuru-Kuru Puzzle (GB, 1994)
Smart Ball 2 (SNES, 1994)
Pulseman (GEN, 1994)
Bazaar de Gosaaru no Game de Gosaaru (NEC, 1996)

That's quite an impressive list for a group that was relatively unknown for several years. (Most of these games were never made in English, or were released in English only temporarily.)

Now, most of these were original works and not part of a series (except the Mario games, one of which was basically a port of the ohter).

Let's take a gander at what they've made from 1996 on.

Pokemon Red/Green/Blue (GB, 1996)
Pokemon Yellow (GB, 1998)
Click Medic (PSOne, 1999)
Pokemon Gold/Silver (GBC, 1999)
Pokemon Crystal (GBC, 2000)
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire (GBA, 2002)
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (GBA, 2004)
Pokemon Emerald (GBA, 2004)
Drill Dozer (GBA, 2005)
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (DS, 2006)

Wow. Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon… and two other titles which almost nobody's heard of (go play Drill Dozer NOW, btw). And they're all almost exactly the same.

RBGY and FR/LG have the exact same story. That's six games.

GSC have the exact same story. That's three games.

RSE have the exact same story. That's three more games.

Diamond and Pearl have the exact same story. That's three more games, because you know they'll make another one.

Pokemon's already a byword that people associate with "marketing." It doesn't help that they've released fourteen games for what should've been the price of four.

Now, I won't go so far as to say that Pokemon games aren't worth playing anymore. Despite the fact that the games are all essentially ROM hacks of each other (heck, even GSC uses nothing more than a highly modified RBY engine), they're still playable, and they tend to add something new to the experience each time (compare with the Mega Man Battle Network series, which also releases in pairs and released eleven games in about five years that didn't add anything new to the experience). But it's not a healthful practice for a game developer. Eventually Pokemon will have lost its magic, and people will stop paying for it. Eventually it will join the scrap heap of franchises that were once entertaining but lost through oversaturation (seriously, who still reads Garfield?).

So yeah, I'm not so much against remakes as I'm in favor of Game Freak either cutting off Pokemon now or innovating. Innovating. What do Diamond and Pearl provide that's new, beyond wifi?

I think Anthrax of Azure Heights drove the point well across.

Originally posted by Anthrax
[size=1]welcome to the world of pokemon

my name is professor [TREE]

pokemon and humans are friends

what is your name

is this correct yes/no

[MOM]: hello [PLAYER NAME], [NPC] is looking for you DON'T GO INTO THE GRASS THERE ARE POKEMON OUT THERE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

(i havent gotten past this point but I would be shocked if this is not what happens)

[WALK AROUND SLOWLY, SERIES OF EVENTS LEADING TO BEGINNING YOUR QUEST TO BECOME REGION'S TOP POKEMON TRAINER]

[TREE]: please pick a [FIRE], [WATER], or [GRASS] pokemon

RIVAL: i pick [TYPE WITH ADVANTAGE OVER CHOSEN STARTER]

[BATTLE BEGINS]

RIVAL: i lose, i am going to be a sore loser and leave in a tiff

[TREE]: well, i guess you should start making your way through the gyms, huh

[ADVENTURE BEGINS]

[CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION INTRODUCED]

[WALK SLOWLY FROM GYM TO GYM]

[BRIEF ENCOUNTERS WITH CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION]

[WALK THROUGH FOREST THAT REQUIRES A TM MOVE TO GET THROUGH]

[BRIEF ENCOUNTERS WITH RIVAL]

[WALK THROUGH A CAVERNOUS MOUNTAIN TO REACH THE PEAK]

[WALK SLOWLY FROM GYM TO GYM]

[WALK THROUGH AN ABANDONED OR HAUNTED TOWER TO REACH THE TOP FLOOR]

[OBTAIN A FASTER MEANS OF LOCOMOTION]

[CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION BEGINS PLAN TO CAPTURE OR DESTROY GODLIKE POKEMON]

[WALK FROM GYM TO GYM]

[SURF ALONG LARGE EXPANSE OF WATER TO GET TO AN ISLAND]

[BRIEF ENCOUNTER WITH CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION]

[WALK FROM GYM TO GYM]

[CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION'S PLANS BEGIN TO REACH FRUITION]

[RIVAL PROVES HE'S NOT SUCH A BAD GUY AFTER ALL, HELPS YOU AT A COST TO HIM IN ORDER FOR YOU TO HELP DEFEAT CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION]

[DEFEAT CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION]

[OBTAIN MACGUFFIN REQUIRED FOR GODLIKE POKEMON]

[GO THROUGH A MONSTER FILLED CAVE CALLED "VICTORY ROAD"]

[BATTLE ELITE 4]

[BATTLE RIVAL]

[BEGIN END GAME]

[USE MACGUFFIN TO OBTAIN GODLIKE POKEMON]

[SEARCH FOR DAYS FOR TWO OR THREE GODLIKE POKEMON THAT APPEAR RANDOMLY ALL ACROSS THE MAP]

[DO A CONVOLUTED FETCH OR PUZZLE QUEST FOR ONE OR MORE GODLIKE POKEMON]

[WAIT IN LINE AT TOYS R US FOR TWO HOURS FOR GODLIKE POKEMON][/size]