Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Anybody seen the Red/Green sprites? - Page 1

Anybody seen the Red/Green sprites?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-11-18 10:37:02
There is a link to showing all of them here: http://www.retrogamezone.co.uk/Sprites/GB/PokemonGreenSheet1.gif .
So what do you guys think of them? My thoughts are that all those PkMn were really intended to look more weird. They generally have pretty much: weird poses - some bigger body parts - eyes are usually cute eyes or  ^-^ eyes - some generally eally look different (Dragonite, Mew, Moltres) - more fatness
So anyway, discuss

Re: Anybody seen the Red/Green sprites?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-11-18 10:54:56
I like them, I always have, they are good pictures for the first game I think.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-11-18 11:58:27
They look kind of like the developers were smoking something when they created them…

Lickitung looks like he's puking, Mew looks like he is hunchbacked, Ekan looks like he has a beak, Charizard looks bizarre, Moltres looks bizarre, and Ninetales looks like a peacock, sort of.

Date: 2007-11-18 13:22:56

They look kind of like the developers were smoking something when they created them…
No, many say that, but it's really just how the PkMn were origionally planned.

Date: 2007-11-18 14:50:06
Lickitung is the worse. He looks like he's PUKING.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-11-18 14:55:48
But they are obviously the pokemon they are supposed to look like, which is good.

Date: 2007-11-18 15:08:24
Well, Mew doesn't look too good…

Date: 2007-11-18 15:24:18
Just that they've made minor additions added on over time. I mean compare RB Spearow to anything RSE or after Spearow.

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2007-11-19 17:06:31
I actually like these better than the original=p.

Date: 2007-11-19 17:14:25

There is a link to showing all of them here: http://www.retrogamezone.co.uk/Sprites/GB/PokemonGreenSheet1.gif .
So what do you guys think of them? My thoughts are that all those PkMn were really intended to look more weird. They generally have pretty much: weird poses - some bigger body parts - eyes are usually cute eyes or  ^-^ eyes - some generally eally look different (Dragonite, Mew, Moltres) - more fatness
So anyway, discuss

That reminds me-a lot of small, "cutesy" Pokemon in R/B had ugly eyes. Example: Pidgey, Bellsprout, Charmander, Eevee, etc.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-11-19 21:46:03
Don't you just love the chibi Golem?

Posted by: Skeith
Date: 2007-11-20 05:00:08
Why the hell is Wigglytuff on 'shrooms?

Date: 2007-11-20 14:51:37

Don't you just love the chibi Golem?
He actually does look rather similar than the R/B one.

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2007-11-22 01:47:11
First off, I've heard that these sprites were only in JP Green, and not in JP Red.

Second, most of these sprites are ugly, but you have to give the creator credit for getting Koffing right.

Date: 2007-11-22 05:04:24

First off, I've heard that these sprites were only in JP Green, and not in JP Red.
Really? Was it like Gold and Silver? How come we can never find Red sprites?

Second, most of these sprites are ugly, but you have to give the creator credit for getting Koffing right.
Yes.