Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Real life Poke names. - Page 1

Real life Poke names.

Posted by: GoldenChaos
Date: 2006-06-23 11:03:42
Here are some things that have the same name as places/things in Pokemon games.
Saffron turns out to be a spice, coming from the stigma of a flower.  Here's what Wikipedia had to say:
A pound of dry saffron requires 50,000?75,000 flowers, the equivalent of a football field's area of cultivation. Some forty hours of frenetic day-and-night labour are needed to pick 150,000 flowers. Saffron prices at wholesale and retail rates range from US$500/pound to US$5,000/pound.  Between 70,000 and 200,000 threads comprise a pound.
This makes saffron the most expensive food in the world.  :o
Anyone else have anything to contribute, just post.

Re: Real life Poke names.

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-06-23 11:45:48
Well, I know that "Pikachu" is a combination of two Japanese words: pika, meaning "spark," and chu, meaning "mouse." Therefore, the literal translation of pikachu is "spark mouse."

Posted by: GlitchManic
Date: 2006-06-23 12:17:42
There is also a Pika mouse that looks like a brown pikachu.

Posted by: GoldenChaos
Date: 2006-06-23 13:34:43
I think there's a plain in Japan that's either called Jhoto or Kanto plains.  I kinda forgot which one. :P

EDIT: I took a look through my Geography binder and the plain is the Kanto Plain.  So mabye the game creators looked to an actual location to name the continent of the first game.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2006-06-24 22:03:06
…and then there's that rusturf tunnel which is based on a real tunnel that had to be hand-dug.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-06-24 22:18:56

I think there's a plain in Japan that's either called Jhoto or Kanto plains.  I kinda forgot which one. :P

EDIT: I took a look through my Geography binder and the plain is the Kanto Plain.  So mabye the game creators looked to an actual location to name the continent of the first game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanto_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29
"It is modeled and named after the Kantō region, a geographical area of Honshū, in Japan."