Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

I despise the D/P Battle engine - Page 1

I despise the D/P Battle engine

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2008-08-16 15:39:36
Surf, which used to be an awesome, strong attack that hit both enemy pokemon in a double battle, now hits all pokemon, like Earthquake.
Mirror Move really pwned in the past games. I used it to get out of trouble when against Dive/Fly/Dig/Bounce/etc. now it doesn't work unless you're hit by it first.
There's some other things I hate, but I can't remember.

Re: I despise the D/P Battle engine

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-08-16 16:28:47
The graphics actually looks worse than the GBA games, I think they should have kept a similar style

It would have saved more time if the levels were not in 3D but 2D and improved the interactivity such as attack animations so Hyper beam comes from a beam firing areas such as eyes an mouths instead of butts and bellies. And extra animations for example Idle animations, Hit animations, Physical Attack animations, Special Attack animations, Miss animations.

And get rid of the rubbish carboard cutout explosions, they look flat and dull and they make the game look tacky, though most of it looks tacky anyway.

Honestly unlike most I was dissapointed when I saw the game, especially when I saw the new Pokemon/Sprites They look too Manga-esk unlike the old ones which were slightly more 3D looking and the new Pokemon look like.

FireRed = Best looking game so far

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-08-18 04:17:20

Surf, which used to be an awesome, strong attack that hit both enemy pokemon in a double battle, now hits all pokemon, like Earthquake.

Attacks that hit only the two opponents do half damage to each in double battles.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-08-18 10:13:06

Attacks that hit only the two opponents do half damage to each in double battles.
Jeesh, that makes things even worse…and I was disappointed by some attack changes, my Snorlax's Shadow Ball got majorly weakened…but then again that's just something to get used to. It does look somewhat tacky and Surf got broken more or less. And yes, FRLG were the best looking to far.

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2008-08-20 01:55:56
Then there's the new Platinum Jackets…Now I'm starting to hate Snowpoint, which I used to love because of the soothing music.

We have the same problems. I used to LOVE using Surf just in Battle Tower (Doubles) but now it just plain sucks, I tried planning a Swampert (w/ Surf) and Golem (With Earthquake) so it would hit the enemies (KO) but instead, Golem fainted first. What's worse, the enemies usually had Grass type moves, thus killing my Swampy.

I agree that FRLG is the best looking so far.

Posted by: Missingno. Master
Date: 2008-09-05 05:32:12

Jeesh, that makes things even worse…and I was disappointed by some attack changes, my Snorlax's Shadow Ball got majorly weakened…but then again that's just something to get used to. It does look somewhat tacky and Surf got broken more or less. And yes, FRLG were the best looking to far.

So go to the move tutor's and teach it Crunch.  Dark and Ghost have the same coverage (except Dark's not good against Fighting and Ghost doesn't affect Normal).

Posted by: Gawaxay
Date: 2008-09-06 15:47:17
I really don't see why they have to make Pok?mon have such crappy graphics. There's the potential for the most awesome game ever here! Just look at Metroid Prime Hunters!

Posted by: atoms2ashes
Date: 2008-09-06 19:36:33
Nintendo flails to be better, when in truth, they get worse…

Posted by: Mezase Master
Date: 2008-09-15 07:51:18
I don't like how slow the battle system is.  I played Yellow and Crystal again soon after Diamond and was like :o.

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2008-09-25 21:27:54
Another thing I hate is the "But there was no target…" message. In the older games, the opponent would send out their Pok?mon, and then the user would use the move. But in D/P, it just wastes it.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2008-09-26 17:59:21
Yeah the battle system sucks but what are you gonna do?

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2008-09-26 20:00:29

Yeah the battle system sucks but what are you gonna do?
I didn't say I was going to do anything, I was just explaining that they could have kept it the way it was, and that they kinda screwed it up.

Were you talking to me?