Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Why do you like Pokemon GSC and not RSE and/or DPP? - Page 1

Why do you like Pokemon GSC and not RSE and/or DPP?

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-03-04 18:54:37
This thread is for GSC fans who find themselves dissatisfied with RSE and DPP (like me) for whatever reason. There's a lot of them around, so I'm starting this thread because I'm wondering why other people like GSC so much and hate/dislike/are bored with/whatever RSE and DPP. This is because I desire to make a Pokemon fangame somehow, and it'd have many of the qualities of GSC.

RBY fans can also say why RSE/DPP disinterests them as well. But if you're a RSE/DPP freak, you might be highly offended by this thread. This is not a debate thread, only a thread where people uninterested in RSE/DPP speak their opinions about the games.

My opinions on this:

Why do I like GSC? It has the most interesting story in the series. The music was very good (you can even say badass) and the graphics were oddly appealing to me. The Pokemon were still original-looking, as well as their names.

I do admit that RSE has its good points, and it introduced some interesting features. But the story was really "meh". Some songs were good, but a lot are kinda cheesy.

DPP was too cheesy and kiddy for me. I still haven't finished the game, and still haven't defeated the 8th gym. I dislike NoA's translation of the game, since they use words like "noob" and made a reference to an old meme. The story is very boring. The music is "blah", but there ARE a few songs I find good. I don't mind the newer Pokemon so much compared to others, except they make the series feel odd for some reason, and they don't feel very original. I do especially like the addition of Leafeon, Glaceon, and Porygon-Z. The names are not that good, though. And for whatever reason, I really don't like the fact that they added Arceus to the series and named it "God". Sorry to people who like Arceus, I just don't.

I find RBY quite good, for similar reasons to GSC.

I don't mind that they're continually adding new Pokemon. And I don't care much for competitive battling (NetBattle bores me), and I like the RPG aspect of the Pokemon series more. I do kinda like training Pokemon in general, but I do it quite casually.

So, why would the Pokemon series be degrading in quality? They're probably targeting less the general audience and targeting more at younger children, to make more money. RBY originally focused on Pokemon and the world about it, DPP seems to focus on battling.

Re: Why do you like Pokemon GSC and not RSE and/or DPP?

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-03-04 19:06:36
*is a RSE/DPP freak who isn't really offended by this thread*
I never understood why people don't like the music or story of the newer games. :/

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-03-04 20:11:39
I'm an RSE freak myself in a way (due to crazy nostalgia) but I'll say that the strong point of GSC (and RBY) was the general mood of the game. It's a very tough thing to explain, but others might know what I mean.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-03-04 21:08:12
One of the characters should have said something like "Defend the tide!" or "THIS DINNER IS WHAT OVER 9000 SPAGHETTIS OM NOM FOR!".  Or, there could have been Pirated Copyrighted Drink instead of (insert medicinal item here).

Maybe we should put more of our memes into Pok?mon GCL Version (if it doesn't fall to Duke Nukem Forever syndrome…).

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2009-03-04 23:01:49
Heh, I like all the games. GSC did have a unique feel to it and RSE had a huge region and plenty of Pokemon. Emerald started to make it really intense with the Battle frontier, and DP took the games strategies, music, and graphics to higher limits. And now Platinum will come out with upgraded stuff from DP. The 3D game engine will take Pokemon where its never gone with the reverse world and the wi-fi stuff plus new battle frontier (also wi-fi capable for teh winnage) is gonna be really great! I see no truly good reason why many people put should up a fuss over new stuff. They just are not looking at it on the right side of the glass.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-03-05 21:02:47
I know why I prefer GSC to all later games: blind nostalgia.

There are other reasons too, but this one is undoubtedly the most effective.

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-03-06 17:35:24
I fucking hate RSE, none of them look like fucking pokemon, they look more like digimon and god knows what else monsters, and the story fucking sucks and the tiles are fucking boring looking. I like dpp because of the 3D graphics and wifi capabilities.

GSC is thy best cause it was the second in the series, Was new for the gbc which supported more colors, better looking pokemon awesome storyline, an you can go to kanto! And it also added a lot of features:

Breeding-eggs-GSC
Hold items-GSC
New pokeballs-GSC
Actual Time and Time of Day(Night,Day)-GSC
New Types:Dark,Steel,Ghost-GSC
NewTMS and HMS-GSC
New evolution options-GSC
Mystery Gift-GSC
Link To the past which is exclusive for GSC
Battle Tower-Crystal
Animated Pokemon-Crystal
Gender Option-Crystal

So yeah, that's why :)

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-03-06 17:58:05
Wow, that was angry, and Ghost?

Date: 2009-03-06 18:18:40

I know ^.^

And yeah, if I'm correct, ghost
was introduced as a type in GSC.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-03-06 18:35:35

I know ^.^

Nope, just Dark and Steel.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-03-06 18:36:29

I know ^.^

Ghost was a type in R/B/Y.

Date: 2009-03-06 22:24:00

I know ^.^

Ghost was a type in R/B/Y.

Wel my mistaked ^.^
But yeah  hope I still
made myself clear in my
post.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-03-08 09:37:54
If anything, GSC was considered the best because it took the good ol' RBY engine that people enjoyed and added the most gameplay changes of the new generations. That and it had a decent storyline instead of the tired "team x is taking over" (though in retrospect the fight between Aqua and Magma had a lot more character depth than "Team Rocket wants a shitload of Gyarados") as well as the two lands.

However, with the dawn of the advance games you get better graphics, specialized 2 v. 2 battle system, another slew of 100 pokemon and a new setting, as well as new battle tactics like location based weather. Add into that the new forms idea starting with Castform and you've got some pretty innovative stuff going into these games. Then of course you have Fire Red and Leaf Green, taking the old RBY plot, spicing it up with new graphics and the new gameplay from RSE, and repackaging it for a new audience. Where you could breeze through Kanto with your Elite 4 smashing team in GSC, you can relive your original glory days with some new areas thrown in.

Mixed feelings come about when you get to DPP, however. A new touchscreen interface combined with better graphics clears up the cluttered battle screen and gives it a fresh coat of paint. The bike, noble transport since RBY, gets another upgrade with gears. The gyms look like a scene from the Puzzle Master's house in RSE, and walking around the routes just seems more fun. Then again, the pokemon are lacking for some older fans, and the storyline is probably the weakest of the games thus far.

So really, it's order of operations here. If RSE's battle mechanics had come before GSC's Radio, you'd probably be saying that RSE was the better of the games. People liked GSC the most because it gave the most new stuff, regardless of how good each individual part was. That being said, I really don't have a preference when it comes to the games. I just find each new game an extension of the old gameplay with a few new tweaks and shines. The only thing I really enjoyed about GSC that I wish they'd bring back is the Radio, but i digress. It's nothing to fight over, so I'm not gonna argue about it.

Not a sermon, just a thoug-*harpooned*

Posted by: agusganog
Date: 2009-03-08 12:47:47
I consider GSC the best, because it seems like the developers were more creative in nearly every aspect if the game.

Opposing trainers had more variety in pokemon and levels, music was richer and more effective, storyline was much more engaging, the introduction of day and night was amazing… the list goes on and on.