Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Could you trap yourself on the Meister's island in D/P/Pt? - Page 1

Could you trap yourself on the Meister's island in D/P/Pt?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-08-21 16:08:07
If you never obtained any type of rod on pokemon d/p/pt if you headed to Route 226 with e.g a geodude's rock climb and used a finneon to surf to the Meister's island without another pokemon that could learn surf, fly or teleport if you traded that particular finneon for the Meister's magikarp would there be no possible way to escape from that particular area?

As magikarp can't learn surf you cannot wipe yourself out or go back the normal way likewise if you do not have any rods on you you wouldn't be able to fish a pokemon to wipe yourself out.

Re: Could you trap yourself on the Meister's island in D/P/Pt?

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-08-21 17:12:28
Not necessarily; if you had a Rare Candy on you and the Finneon that you traded was level 19 or higher you could evolve the Magikarp and then teach it Surf.

On the other hand, if you approached the Meister's house from the desert (Route 228), which only requires a bicycle, and had:
– a Pokemon that evolves without experience into a form that can learn Fly as well as the item required to make it evolve (e.g. Clefairy w/ a Moon Stone~>Clefable), or
– a Togepi, which evolves via friendship which can be obtained by walking or with several friendship boosting berries, or
– several rare candies to make a Pokemon evolve (Trapinch –> Vibrava, NidoranF –> Nidorina) to a form which can learn Fly or Surf (though this is fairly redundant because you could just evolve the Magikarp), or
– an egg that hatches into a Pokemon that can learn either move.

In essence, there are many ways to prevent this, but it seems possible if the only pokemon you have with you are, say, a Blaziken and the Finneon, no Rods (unlikely), and no rare candies whatsoever. However, Gen IV prevents you from releasing the only pokemon that has learned one of your HMs, so it seems unlikely that the game would allow the trade to happen.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-08-21 21:58:33
Finneon can only be caught by fishing anyway, so unless you trade you can't not have any Rods.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-08-22 09:53:19

Finneon can only be caught by fishing anyway, so unless you trade you can't not have any Rods.

Good point.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-08-22 10:33:18
If you DO get stuck, then you still aren't really stuck. All you gotta do is buy a cheat device and activate a walk through walls code. But yeah, you will be stuck if you can't afford one of those.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-08-22 15:33:51
I made the trade, and the game does indeed allow a trade with only a Blaziken and the Finneon in the party, but since I do have a Super Rod perhaps that wasn't the most accurate test.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-08-23 05:51:39
Should have done something like… trade a Finneon with someone, THEN do the thing you did. Make sure you have no rods.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-08-23 11:26:01

I made the trade, and the game does indeed allow a trade with only a Blaziken and the Finneon in the party, but since I do have a Super Rod perhaps that wasn't the most accurate test.

It works for me, and I used a Action Replay code to get rid of my rods.

I saved outside of it, though, so yeah.

But it works!