Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pictures of Pokémon artwork with their 'beta Pokémon names' - Page 1

Pictures of Pokémon artwork with their 'beta Pokémon names'

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-01-31 09:10:43
Well a helpful site has listed the official artwork for Pokémon before Pokémon Red and Green was officially translated into English! These were probably pictures used in those apparant old promotions for Pokémon in the United States, for example it shows a picture of Seaking with the text '#119 Neptune.'

However, I do not live in the United States so can somebody confirm this?
Here is the list of artwork http://reocities.com/Tokyo/fuji/4362/pokemon.html

Re: Pictures of Pokémon artwork with their 'beta Pokémon names'

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-01-31 19:34:51
Confirm what?

Posted by: Ghostsanora
Date: 2010-01-31 19:52:38
Yeah, they're the pre-release images.

Why do you ask?

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2010-02-01 03:07:01
I have a feeling thats going to go down soon….:(
It seems to have been up for a loooong time….Unless its a complete recreation…

I saved all of those pictures for archiving them, for whatever reason….

But thanks for the link, the mew thing was extremely nostalgic, and the Chrono Trigger music didn't help to lower my "nostalgia rating"

Date: 2010-02-01 03:51:32

Why do you ask?

Ah ok, thanks.

Confirm what?

I just wanted to double check that these pieces of artwork were not just fan-made images of the prototype Pokémon names and that these were the official images released by Nintendo staff. I wanted to add one of these pictures to the beta Pokémon names article on the wiki but not if these were fanon.

Date: 2010-02-01 20:37:04

Why do you ask?

Ah ok, thanks.

Confirm what?

I just wanted to double check that these pieces of artwork were not just fan-made images of the prototype Pokémon names and that these were the official images released by Nintendo staff. I wanted to add one of these pictures to the beta Pokémon names article on the wiki but not if these were fanon.
Feel free to add them.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-02-02 01:00:12

It was originally hosted on geocities, but when it was publicized that it was going down, someone decided to start backing geocities, and it was placed on that site. Reocitys. It isn't going down for a loooooooong time

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2010-02-02 01:02:58

It was originally hosted on geocities, but when it was publicized that it was going down, someone decided to start backing geocities, and it was placed on that site. Reocitys. It isn't going down for a loooooooong time

Oh, so it is a recreation, that makes a bit of sense, but even so, there are 2 or 3 that are not in that list of them, because their sources went down.

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-02-02 03:30:51

Oh, so it is a recreation, that makes a bit of sense, but even so, there are 2 or 3 that are not in that list of them, because their sources went down.

Thanks for the info.
Actually, no, all pages are unedited.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-02-24 22:59:57
Ny. La. lol

Just a note, Zapdos and Articuno's names on the list are typos. On the art they link to, they are the same as the Final US version as they are in Japan as well. Hitmonlee is mispelled in the link but the name in the art is the same as the final. If you don't know what I mean click the links of these.

I just now noticed that Weepinbell appears to be missing from the list. Lots of interesting names. I'm sure I've heard most of them before but still interesting. Where did these scans come from? Does anybody know?

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2010-02-25 19:07:48

Ny. La. lol

Just a note, Zapdos and Articuno's names on the list are typos. On the art they link to, they are the same as the Final US version as they are in Japan as well. Hitmonlee is mispelled in the link but the name in the art is the same as the final. If you don't know what I mean click the links of these.

I just now noticed that Weepinbell appears to be missing from the list. Lots of interesting names. I'm sure I've heard most of them before but still interesting. Where did these scans come from? Does anybody know?

Kabuto and Mew are also missing from the list. (Though Mew may be intentional, as it was supposed to be a "secret" Pokemon at the time.)
EDIT: Never mind, Kabuto is "Att", but the picutre could not be found.

Date: 2010-02-25 19:21:00

Ny. La. lol

Kabuto and Mew are also missing from the list. (Though Mew may be intentional, as it was supposed to be a "secret" Pokemon at the time.)
EDIT: Never mind, Kabuto is "Att", but the picutre could not be found.
No way to fix that, unfortunately.

Posted by: Redstar
Date: 2010-04-05 23:54:39
Nice. I actually use this site as a source for our site, as well as a few others. I have the missing artwork, as well as the original "sticker" artwork they came from (which includes copyright information), and the artwork for the later additions such as Marill and Togepi, but gives them the names "Pikablu" and "Topegy".

Date: 2010-04-07 13:08:29

Nice. I actually use this site as a source for our site, as well as a few others. I have the missing artwork, as well as the original "sticker" artwork they came from (which includes copyright information), and the artwork for the later additions such as Marill and Togepi, but gives them the names "Pikablu" and "Topegy".

Would you mind scanning those images on to your computer and uploading them on a site such as Imageshack? I would love to see them!

Posted by: Redstar
Date: 2010-04-12 20:26:32
Sorry for the delay, but I keep all this early artwork/information on flash drive and wasn't home to grab it.

Anyways, here's all the artwork: http://img145.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=070kzp.jpg

The numbers 151+ are rather shoddy, so we believe they're fakes that were attempting to look like "official" artwork. However, there is still the possibility that they are real to some degree.