Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Catching Ho-Oh with a Feraligatr? - Page 1

Catching Ho-Oh with a Feraligatr?

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2010-02-12 18:14:24
I can has dilemma?

My friend Jason got me to the top of Tin Tower on Pokemon Gold, where Ho-Ho lies.  These are my Feraligatr's stats:

Lv. 61
Strength
Surf
Hydro Pump
Ice Punch

I know not to use Surf or Hydro Pump (I was told 1 move of Surf killed this Lv. 40 Ho-Oh), and I think Strength would also be a one-hit KO, so that leaves me with…Ice Punch. -.-'

The next highest-level Pokemon in my party is a level 27 Weepinbell, which has learned Acid, Sleep Powder, Cut, and Poison Powder.  The 2 Powder attacks don't work half the time (b/c of the shield), and Cut and Acid are virtually ineffective.  Also, 1 hit of Sacred Fire KOs my Weepinbell…

So, long story short, I need some help!

Re: Catching Ho-Oh with a Feraligatr?

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-02-12 19:50:07
Uh, surf shouldn't kill it. Even if it did, strengh definately won't.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2010-02-12 22:03:49

Well, my level 37 Feraligatr KOed Entei with one Surf.
(In Silver, years ago. *Remembers the good days*)

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-02-12 23:02:50

I can has dilemma?

My friend Jason got me to the top of Tin Tower on Pokemon Gold, where Ho-Ho lies.  These are my Feraligatr's stats:

Lv. 61
Strength
Surf
Hydro Pump
Ice Punch

I know not to use Surf or Hydro Pump (I was told 1 move of Surf killed this Lv. 40 Ho-Oh), and I think Strength would also be a one-hit KO, so that leaves me with…Ice Punch. -.-'

Just save before the encounter and try different combinations.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-02-13 05:09:46

This is Gold Version. Ho-Oh's level 40.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2010-02-13 07:10:50
Ho-Oh has good Special Defense, so Ice Punch should be able to not kill it. Worst case scenario you could just level grind Weepinbell and use Sleep Powder (or just get another Pokemon more suitable for catching legendaries with)

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2010-02-13 07:20:08
@Axaj: That's what I did.  I saved the game right before battling Ho-Ho.
@Zowayix: Ice Punch does not kill it, which was my point. Combined with Recover, it usually takes 2 or 3 hits to K.O. Ho-Ho.

Also, is there any truth at all to the myth that holding the B button after a ball is thrown will help the Pokemon be caught faster?  Jason was kind enough to buy me 77 Ultra Balls… >:(…and none of them have worked so far. Along with Level Ball, Fast Ball, and Great Ball.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-02-13 10:33:24

Also, is there any truth at all to the myth that holding the B button after a ball is thrown will help the Pokemon be caught faster?

No.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2010-02-13 12:07:32

This is Gold Version. Ho-Oh's level 40.

Bingo.
That's what the Entei was at.
And my Feraligatr was 3 levels BELOW it.