Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

So that's the purpose.... - Page 1

So that's the purpose....

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-04-24 00:19:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jlg9xGF_9RE&feature=related

Very strange….. But why is that door even there. I always wondered why it was there but eventually I just stopped looking at it and didn't worry after that.

Re: So that's the purpose....

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2010-04-24 04:39:57
That would have been for the e-Reader minigames, which I don't believe existed in FR/LG.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-04-24 09:29:43
Checked the script for the woman in that room, and found some interesting text strings:

Ah!
Welcome, my friend! Let me tell you something. There's
a hidden room in the basement. A TRAINER named <name> is
waiting there now.
Tell me, you did come to challenge
<name>, am I right?

Fine! Before your battle, would
you like to save your game?

All right.
Don't hold anything back!

Oh…
You won't battle…
I see, I see.
… …
Well, perhaps if you change your
mind, do come back.
(there is four of these)

Ah!
You will battle for me?
It was worth my time moving the
box aside, then.
… …
But there is one slight problem.
This hidden room is not built very
sturdy.
Can I get you to limit it to
battles of three POKéMON per side?

The script does a compare: if 0x4001 is 0x1 then it jumps to 0x170987, which activates the second set of texts and lets you in the hidden room.
The script for the trainer in the hidden room is completely blank (so I don't know how it starts a battle), and the warp to the main room from the hidden room is intact.

In my badly translated FR (J), the script is the same (except for the Japanese text), with the boxes in the way, and the hidden room->main room warp intact.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-04-24 18:59:46
I still have one of those Battle Cards from when I got Ruby 7 years ago. I'd always wanted to see that script.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-04-24 19:42:49
From what Wack0 said it sounds like a remake of the trainer house.

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2010-04-25 05:24:16
It does indeed sound like the G/S/C Trainer House.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-05-07 18:01:06
It probably is but who the fuck has ever figured out how to use Mystery Gift before? I know it required the Wireless adapter that came with FR/LG 1.0 and that it made certain pokemon appear in Altering Cave that didn't appear otherwise.

However, I'm not sure if it would make the boxes in that house on seven island move or not. Probably not. Also, it seems that Archie's sprites from R/S were leftover in the rom as well as the indication that he is a trainer. His name, roster, and other vital data for a proper battle are gone though. Interesting that the sprites are still in FR/LG. I knew music was but Archie's sprite is a surprise to me.

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2010-05-07 21:03:57
All the R/S Gym Leaders' sprites still exist in there, too.

I remember going into the "Trainer House" in Ruby or Emerald (can't remember, but I cheated), and it was a Hiker that crashed the game after the "???" strings.

KRRRR CHEEEEEEEE!

Yes, that still kinda startles me.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-05-08 02:54:32
I think that the game knows it's a trainer battle, but there's no data defined for it.
So we see FR/LG equivalent of a 'blank' trainer: start and end string "??? ??? ???\n??? ??? ???" (probably all zeros), Archie with a blank name, and no Pokémon so he sends out a hex 00 decamark, with all stats at zero.
I can't explain the Rayquaza->'??' slotfiller change though.