Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

After a nightmarish day of trying to no success... - Page 1

After a nightmarish day of trying to no success...

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-08-11 09:07:11
[img]http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/plmfsa/219.png[/img]
I got myself this guy. I spent all yesterday soft-resetting and figuring things out, and finally this morning I went for a low frame just to get a shiny (frame 4, only requiring one RNG advance not counting using Sweet Scent to find him,) and after only a few tries, succeeded. The IVs are crap, because I don't plan to use him for any serious battling, but here they are: 11/3/15/21/18/11. His nature is Rash.
Luckily, I caught him in a Heal Ball (because he's purple/pink.) Primus now sits in my box as my first shiny on Platinum and my first RNG'd shiny.
I'd be pleased to help anyone out with it if they want to try.

Re: After a nightmarish day of trying to no success...

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-08-11 09:36:19

I got myself this guy. I spent all yesterday soft-resetting and figuring things out, and finally this morning I went for a low frame just to get a shiny (frame 4, only requiring one RNG advance not counting using Sweet Scent to find him,) and after only a few tries, succeeded. The IVs are crap, because I don't plan to use him for any serious battling, but here they are: 11/3/15/21/18/11. His nature is Rash.
Luckily, I caught him in a Heal Ball (because he's purple/pink.) Primus now sits in my box as my first shiny on Platinum and my first RNG'd shiny.

Congratulations, good luck if you try for any more shiny Pokémon!

Date: 2010-08-11 10:34:50

Congratulations, good luck if you try for any more shiny Pokémon!
I just got another shiny Magcargo, and an going into Snowpoint Temple for something else now! (most likely a Golbat)

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-08-11 16:51:53
Cool.

Maybe you could find a shiny Sneasel? Who knows ;)

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2010-08-15 12:11:33
Congrats :]! But can you explain what RNG is?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-08-15 12:22:54

Congrats :]! But can you explain what RNG is?

It should be PRNG abuse: pseudo-random number generator abuse, although it tends to be shortened to just 'RNG abuse' or 'RNG'. Its the generation of a random-seed for particular characteristics of a Pokémon, I think the main formula is something along the lines of (X*Seed) + Y where the end result determines a Pokémon.

Understandably X (or the seed) is a gigantic number as the end result will determine all of the random characteristics of the relevant Pokémon. Many things affect the random seed like the clock time and even small things like tossing a coin.

Date: 2010-08-15 13:06:11
Getting very, VERY frustrated with shiny Latias at the moment. The spread I picked has a seed which can not be reached with my most common delay, which pretty much means it takes a lot more soft resets to get it. I actually reached the correct seed once, but didn't find the right Latias (not shiny,) probably because a moving NPC advanced the frame, even though I only spent a few centiseconds out of the menu. It's the event one in Pewter City, leaving a lot of room for unwanted frame advancement. I've so far spent a few hours soft-resetting, counting yesterday.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-08-15 14:05:22
>primus

Train it to play the South Park theme. :P

Date: 2010-08-15 18:14:52

>primus

Train it to play the South Park theme. :P
…Hmm? :P
Haven't watched South Park.