Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

HG/SS Microphone Test screen - Page 1

HG/SS Microphone Test screen

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-08-13 16:44:13
I suddenly came across what appears to be a simple microphone test screen within HeartGold/SoulSilver, similar to the old Clock Reset screen in Pokémon Gold and Silver which was later removed in Pokémon Crystal. The Microphone Test interface can be activating via the button combination (Down),X,Y on the title screen.

Interestingly, it only seems to be accessible on HeartGold/SoulSilver, despite the fact that microphone testing would have been desirable as early as Diamond and Pearl (i.e. voice chat/chatter support).

For this reason I wonder why it exists and whether the button combination has actually been revealed by Nintendo? The screen is very basic and is titled "Mic Test", whilst the bottom screen says "Please say something directly into the Mic." It shows a picture of a Jigglypuff on the top screen, which will sing (if the input is loud enough) and indicate the amplitude of the sound waves.

Edit: Yes it has, on page 11 of the instruction booklet