Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

The Egg Cup: A New Metagame to Try - Page 1

The Egg Cup: A New Metagame to Try

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-08-31 08:16:14
I came up with this idea yesterday, and my brothers and I started putting together teams from Pokémon we hatched from Eggs and battling each other. I was hoping we could get some more people into it. Here are the rules for the Egg Cup:

Pokémon allowed must meet the following conditions:
- They must be at level 1.
- They must be obtainable by hatching an Egg.
- They cannot be evolved.
- They must be able to evolve.

Only one Pokémon may be on a team from each species.
The Manaphy Egg and the Egg shown during the Arceus event do not count as Eggs.

Illegal Moves:
- SonicBoom
- Dragon Rage
- Sheer Cold
- Horn Drill
- Guillotine
- Fissure
- Any illegal Egg move combination

Other Rules:
- Only one Pokémon may be put to sleep at a time on one's team.
- If one uses Selfdestruct or Explosion with their last Pokémon, they lose.

Tiers:
Ubers:
OU:
UU:

What I think are the upsides to this metagame are as follows:
- Minimum preparation. You only need to get good moves on the Pokémon and/or the parents, and then hatch the Egg with an acceptable nature (these are the no-change natures, which reduce no stats and therefore have them all maximum.) No RNGing, EV training, or training is required.
- New strategies. This will definitely play much different from OU, and more like Ubers, but with a bigger selection of Pokémon and even more tiers within that selection.
- A new way of team-building. Previously, base stats and EV spreads to optimize certain stats while keeping others reasonable were major factors in creating movesets and building teams. When no EVs can be given and base stats have to be at high levels to give any benefit whatsoever, more focus is on the Pokémon's type, ability, and moves. Certain Pokémon might surprisingly become good that weren't as much in the Little Cup.
We were hoping we could get more people to test this out with and develop some tiers. Any thoughts? If you're interested in battling in this metagame, you can PM me, or when more people join, you can post here.

Re: The Egg Cup: A New Metagame to Try

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-08-31 08:57:02
There is already Smogon's Little Cup http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/little_cup_guide based on the original Little Cup from Stadium 2 where the level cap is 5 although battling with hatched level 1 Pokémon sounds fun and might be a little more fast paced.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-08-31 09:26:34

There is already Smogon's Little Cup http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/little_cup_guide based on the original Little Cup from Stadium 2 where the level cap is 5 although battling with hatched level 1 Pokémon sounds fun and might be a little more fast paced.
I got the idea from the Little Cup. The Little Cup, however, requires some EV training and RNGing, and with a larger stat range, different things become more powerful than if everything was at level 1.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-09-06 13:19:41
Seems a little too much like Little Cup to me, but some changes I can imagine would be only allowing 3-stage evolutions, or maybe allowing Phione.

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2010-10-16 00:44:25
XD. Aron with Head Smash. Nuff' said  :).