Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon that sound like other Pokémon when on low HP - Page 1

Pokémon that sound like other Pokémon when on low HP

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-08-14 10:44:02
A few weeks ago, I received a private message on Youtube.

"Well, this afternoon I was playing Pokémon Green for laughs and when we sent out a heavily wounded Metapod (you know, with that stupid annoying alarm beep), his cry was Gastly's.,."

I promised them I'd make a video about them all, so for now I'll list some of the Pokémon that sound similar to other Pokémon when on low HP in Red/Blue, and probably use the same base cry. (work in progress)

Kadabra ~ Gastly
Metapod ~ Gastly
Vulpix ~ Graveler
Mew ~ Staryu/Starmie
Parasect ~ Staryu/Starmie
Magneton ~ Gastly

Re: Pokémon that sound like other Pokémon when on low HP

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2011-08-14 13:54:04
Interesting. I never noticed that, since I know like just ~10 cries. ._.

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2011-08-14 16:48:40
this isn't a glitch topic what is this doing in here.

get out of here topic.

e: move-ified.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-08-14 18:20:43

this isn't a glitch topic what is this doing in here.

get out of here topic.

e: move-ified.

I have a strange urge to post every single project I start in 'Pokémon glitch discussion'. Thanks for moving it, and sorry about that.

Interesting. I never noticed that, since I know like just ~10 cries. ._.

It's actually relatively rare to come across nowadays I guess. This kind of thing doesn't happen in Generation III and onwards. It only tends to happen (a close resemblance) to a few Pokémon, and unless I'm mistaken it's pretty much Generation I/(Generation II?) exclusive, because Pokémon don't have altered pitch for a select few base cries in later generations (except through sound manipulation in the Pokédex in Generation IV). Although I think they have length in later generations? I recall a trivia that in one game all Pokémon cries were speeded up 1.5x.

Anyway, this kind of thing is because of Pokémon sharing the same base cries with other Pokémon. A few Pokémon you're probably more likely to hear on low HP than others though, like when training Metapod (sounds almost the same as Gastly on low HP) for Butterfree to beat Brock.

New list:

I may be missing some things, albeit those like Mew ~ Staryu, Krabby ~ Mr. Mime and Vulpix ~ Graveler only partly sounded like them as compared to more closer similarities like Raticate ~ Rattata.

Mew ~ Staryu
Kadabra ~ Gastly
Paras ~ Staryu
Parasect ~ Staryu
Starmie ~ Staryu
Raticate ~ Rattata
Magneton ~ Gastly
Krabby ~ Mr. Mime
Vulpix ~ Graveler
Ninetales ~ Graveler
Geodude ~ Graveler
Metapod ~ Gastly
Mewtwo ~ Staryu
Krabby ~ Mr. Mime
Kingler ~ Mr. Mime
Alakazam ~ Gastly
Magnemite ~ Gastly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEvX92byEaw

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2011-08-21 02:34:25
Technically speaking, this shouldn't even happen at all.  At most, the cries should just be missing their channel 1 makeup due to beeping taking up channel one, why the cries change so drastically when the beeping occurs has to be due to poor programming.  Abra's cry is mostly made up of the PCM/Noise channel so it really shouldn't change at all.  Same goes for Kadabra.