Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon parodies in Trade & Battle: Card Hero - Page 1

Pokémon parodies in Trade & Battle: Card Hero

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-11-01 14:41:33
Trade & Battle: Card Hero was Nintendo R&D1 and Intelligent System's take on a popular card RPG game for the Game Boy Color alongside Pokémon. It actually became quite popular in Japan and gained two sequels, one for the Nintendo DS (Kousoku Card Battle: Card Hero) and one title downloadable via DSiWare (Card Hero Speed Battle Custom). There were also real trading cards based on the game distributed with the Game Boy Color version, and IIRC some plush toys of the monsters. It's also the game where the Maruo Maruhige trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee comes from.

I've heard that there are a lot of Nintendo references in the original game, some of them parodying Pokémon. The card company is called 'Nantendo' (and still is in the sequel); this joke actually originated in the Game Boy game For the Frog the Bell Tolls (also developed by Intelligent Systems) where Dr. Arewo Shitain (who curiously cameo'd as an enemy in Wario Land 4) is the owner of the Nantendo building on Nantendo Island. Secondly, Maruo Maruhige owns a card company, but it's said somewhere in the game that he used to be a taxi driver, where Nintendo used to be both a card and taxi company.

What interests me are the Pokémon parodies. There is apparently an NPC who calls "Team Pocket" as one of his favourite villains, (I'm not sure who though) and whereas everybody is obsessed with "Card Hero" there are a few NPCs who talk about another game called "Rocket Monsters". I'll try and grab a screenshot of one of these references.