Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Beta Red/Blue screenshots from the manual - Page 1

Beta Red/Blue screenshots from the manual

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2012-01-22 17:01:28
So, earlier today, I found this scan of a Pokémon Blue manual, and it has a lot of rather interesting beta material. Some of you may know about the Brock screenshot, but there's so much more that a lot of people have missed. I'll go through each page one by one.

Page 7: Ah, yes. Here's the infamous "The BROCK wants to fight!" line. This one is probably the most infamous of all. In the final version, the "The" at the beginning was dropped.

Page 14: There are a couple screenshots here:
    1. This is very hard to see from the scan, but the Pallet Town map uses graphics from the Japanese versions of Red/Green. It's most notable in the signs and flowers, but it's also visible in the walls around the town, the grass, and the water. This will be seen repeatedly in the manual.
    2. The woman says "I'm raising POKéMON, too!" In the final version, there is no comma.

Page 15: Screenshots galore!
    1. Oak's name isn't in all caps in the screenshot, but like all proper nouns, it's in all caps (i.e. OAK) in the final game.
    2. One screenshot has the text "There are 3 Pokémon there!" In the final, "there" is replaced with the more gramatically correct "here".
    3. You'll see the word "POKé" in the third screenshot. Obviously, this was replaced with "POKéMON". I don't recall the word "PLANT" being in all caps in the final, either.

Page 16: Same situation as Pallet Town: The graphics are that from Red/Green. Most easily seen in the small flowers; they're much darker here.

Page 18: Same thing here: Red/Green graphics, most visible in flowers and bushes. I wouldn't be surprised if the mart had the "SHOP" sign too, which most non-English versions have (which is ironic seeing that "shop" is an English word), but it's way too hard for me to see in that scan.

Page 20: Two on this page:
    1. Oak's name is in lowercase in the manual again.
    2. More Red/Green graphics in Route 2.

Page 23: Again, two on this page:
    1. Similar to the Brock screenshot, one screenshot has the text "The BUG CATCHER wants to fight!" Although, in this context, the "The" is more gramatically correct. Thanks to the gym leaders, though, it was dropped in the final, so it reads "BUG CATCHER wants to fight!"
    2. The screenshot just to the right has Pidgey's name as Pidge. Yes, it could easily be a nickname, but since Pidge was originally going to be Pidgey's name, it probably wasn't a nickname.

Page 24: Again, two here:
    1. Red/Green graphics again in the Pewter City map.
    2. In the museum screenshot, it says "It's $50 for a child ticket." In the final, "child" was changed to "child's", which makes more sense.

Page 25: There's that "The BROCK wants to fight!" text again. Yep.

Page 26: Last but not least, here are five different ones! They're all interesting too.
    1. Mt. Moon is in lowercase, but in the final, it's in all caps.
    2. Rocket Game Corner is also in lowercase, but like all other proper nouns, it's in all caps in the final. Also worth noting: The money has the currency sign AFTER the number (i.e. 278017$), which doesn't normally occur in the English version (it does in the Spanish version, though – I have no idea about the Japanese version).
    3. Safari Zone is also in lowercase in the manual. (I wish these proper nouns were in lowercase all along, like in D/P and B/W, because it looks weird in ALL CAPS.)
    4. In the fishing screenshot, the text reads "Ho! It's a hit!" This was changed in the final version, where it says "Oh! It's a bite!" The final makes more sense, really.
    5. In the day care screenshot, the man says "Would like me to raise a POKéMON?" In the final version, he says the more gramatically correct "Would you like to me to raise one of your POKéMON?"

That's all of them. Did I miss anything? Most likely, with the numerous amount of beta material. If anybody finds any other beta screenshots, post them here! And while I'm mentioning the manual, I might as well show this:

http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/manuals/game_boy/pokemon.shtml

(Note: This page uses JavaScript to force you to answer some survey before you can see the much of the page. To get around this, view the source code (the text is preformatted) or disable JavaScript and quickly press Esc to stop the page before it has a chance to redirect to a nagging page.)

You'll see the type matchup chart here on page 33. The other file also has a type matchup chart, but this one is different… it's full of errors. And it's not a result of the transcription, either. I remember the manual that came with my copy of Red, and I remember a lot of these errors (however, I lost the manual years ago). Specifically, it says that:

- Ice does half damage against Fire. This is true starting with G/S/C, but in R/B/Y, it deals neutral damage. Perhaps this was intended all along?
- Ghost is super effective against Psychic. Again, this is true starting in G/S/C, but in Gen I, it doesn't even affect Psychic. Due to this and one trainer in Sabrina's gym stating that Ghost-types are good against Psychic-types, this was a common rumor at the time. Due to these errors though, it's possible that Ghost being 2x effective against Psychic was intended all along (not that it mattered at the time, though, as the only real Ghost move was Lick, which was incredibly weak).
- Ghost is neutral against Ghost. This isn't true in any game; Ghost has always been super-effective against Ghost.
- Water is 1/2x effective against Electric. Not true in any game; Water has always been neutral against Electric.
- Bug is neutral against Poison. This isn't true in any game either; in Generation I, it's super effective, and in other generations, it's not very effective.
- Lastly, it says that Ice is super-effective against Rock. Again, this isn't true in any game; it's always been neutral. Probably the confusion comes from the fact that many Rock-types are also part-Ground.

Strangely, the scan of the Blue manual doesn't have these errors… perhaps the manual was revised at one point?

So, there you go. Quite a lot to say about the manual, I hope you all found it interesting!

Re: Beta Red/Blue screenshots from the manual

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2012-01-22 20:08:12
4. In the fishing screenshot, the text reads "Ho! It's a hit!" This was changed in the final version, where it says "Oh! It's a bite!" The final makes more sense, really.

I've always remembered this one but due to my terrible luck in finding scans I wasn't ever able to verify it until now.

Glad I'm not insane or having some sort of false memory.

e: I find the term "Pokemon Leader" amusing, and that it claims you must fight them to complete the PokeDex.

e2: Manual lists "Coin" independently as a "Miscellaneous Item." That's neat.

e3: Guard Spec. has a bit of an iffy effect description, "enemy Pokemon can't use special attack"

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2012-01-23 14:33:10
I have an original manual somewhere, if there's anything you want me to check

Posted by: ~Piika
Date: 2012-01-28 16:45:51
I find it interesting that in the Pokémon Yellow manual, quite a few of these were left in. (My personal copy would be quite a late edition, too - it wasn't long after I purchased Yellow that Gameboy games were taken off shelves, if I recall.)

Page 14 (16 in Yellow manual)
- Yellow's manual also uses a Red/Green map.

Page 15 (17)
- The first shot with Oak's name sans all-caps is here, but the rest have all been updated. Weird, because the screens are different sizes - the ones taken from the Red/Blue manual are slightly wider than the Yellow ones.

Page 16 (18)
- Full route map is from Red/Green.

Page 18 (20)
- Red/Green map again, and yes, it does say "SHOP".

Page 20 (22)
- "Oak" is fixed, map is not.

Page 24 (26)
- The museum shot was updated, map was not. Again.

Page 26 (28)
- Oddly, the only thing that wasn't updated here is "Ho! It's a hit!"

There are a couple other unchanged screenshots, too, but they're all in the final (of Red and Blue, at least).

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-01-29 11:20:15
Great thread Blaziken257! It's amazing how many things like these can be overlooked. I didn't know about any of this except for the omission of the "The" prefix and the type matchup chart being changed between versions.

I have the Red/Blue/Yellow manuals as well, but haven't been able to locate them. I've heard on Azure Heights, that in the Pokémon Yellow manual it states that the move Blizzard freezes less frequently in Colosseum2 mode, where in actuality it has the same chance of freezing as outside of link battles. However, in Japanese R/G/B/Y, Blizzard did have a 30.1% chance of freezing instead of the English versions' 9.8% freeze, and I have heard that supposedly Blizzard would freeze less often in Pokémon Yellow's Colosseum2 mode, but only in the Japanese version (Pocket Monsters Pikachu). Move data for both effects remainin the localised Red/Blue/Yellow.

Out of interest, another thing that several people probably already know (since it was added to Bulbapedia originally from TCRF for a while now) is that on page 31 of the Official Player's Guide there is a picture of using Cut with the text "(PKMN) CUT down a bush!", whereas in the final games it was changed to "(PKMN) hacked away with CUT!". Are there any other, overlooked changes in the Official Player's Guide?

I'm curious as to whether some of these were direct translations from the Japanese versions, instead of the heavily localised text in Red and Blue. In the introduction Red and Green, Oak apparently says text which translates to "A world of magic dreams! Let's go!" just before the player character is shrunk, as well as various unimpressive changes. This can be seen in the incomplete fan translation of Green, but I don't know about its integrity.

[img]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3853/magicdreams.png[/img]

In the final game, this is changed with "A world of dreams and adventures with POKéMON awaits! Let's go!"

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2012-04-27 19:44:49
I note that on page 10, Viridian Forest is called 'Caterpie's Nest' on the Town Map.

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2012-04-28 13:26:11

I note that on page 10, Viridian Forest is called 'Caterpie's Nest' on the Town Map.

That page is showing off the Area feature of the PokeDex and is listing Caterpie's locations.

e: The manual's page 31 has a section titled "Rare Pokemon" that says "In each game, there is a Pokemon that appears only once. If you do not capture it the first time, you will never have the chance to capture it again." Pretty sure that the legendary birds and Mewtwo only appear once, quite certainly more than one Pokemon. To say they 'appear' is a bit iffy since you have to find them.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2012-04-29 13:11:26
I'm curious as to whether some of these were direct translations from the Japanese versions, instead of the heavily localised text in Red and Blue. In the introduction Red and Green, Oak apparently says text which translates to "A world of magic dreams! Let's go!" just before the player character is shrunk, as well as various unimpressive changes. This can be seen in the incomplete fan translation of Green, but I don't know about its integrity.

On a related note, a future goal of the Pokémon Red disassembly is to extract all the Japanese text and do a complete retranslation of the whole game. Although my Japanese sucks, Ive looked at a few parts of the game in Japanese. One character who differs is the old man, whos actually drunk (I bet we all knew that). In contrast, the official translation of the Mewtwo diaries is as literal as you can getthere are no hidden secrets to get from the Japanese version there, unfortunately.

Date: 2012-08-16 09:18:54
So I found my Pokémon Ruby manual just now. And I decided to look in it for beta screenshots: this is what I found:

Page 28: a battle screen that says
It's super-effective!

Page 31: fishing with a rod, the text box shows a font where '.' is in the middle of the line.
Page 32: battle screen that says
SHROOMISHa boosted gained
34 EXP. Points!

Page 33: status screen of an egg, the ???-type picture looks different from the final.

Date: 2012-09-06 16:06:15
Double post, but so what.. look what i found!

Page 29 has Bill's name that isn't entirely in capitals, page 33 has the already noted '[Pokémon] CUT[NL]down a bush!', page 35 has 'The HIKER wants to fight!'; that's the only things I've found so far.

(By the way, here's the official G/S guide and the official Crystal guide)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-09-11 11:07:28

(By the way, here's the official G/S guide and the official Crystal guide)

I love the artwork. Thanks for sharing! :)

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-09-12 16:03:44
Kinda related, but the Yellow Version manual had a picture of the fight agaisnt Brock's Onix, but it was from Red/Blue Version.