Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon Gold/Silver Movement Type 02 - Page 1

Pokémon Gold/Silver Movement Type 02

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-05-07 07:04:43
In this article on GlitterBerri about the Skateboard promised during the development of Pocket Monsters 2, there is a translation of this page from The Scrapped Pokémon Support Group where the author believes that data for the Skateboard remains in Pocket Monsters Kin/Gin. They claim to have found data for the Skateboard in Kin/Gin and talk about the way that the player walks along while sliding, presumably referring to movement type 02. Though I'm not convinced that this is actually unused data for the Skateboard.

In the English version, it can be accessed with the Gameshark code 010282D6. The article shows this table, which says that movement type 02 may have been for the Skateboard.

Value Function
0 Walking
1 Bicycling
2 Skateboarding (?)
4 Surfing
8 Surfing(?)

My question is, is movement type 02 used for sliding on ice? When I track D682 with memory viewer, it doesn't update to 02 when you slide on ice, but your feet don't move when you slide on the ice even when D682 is set to 02, so that means it isn't D682 that determines whether your feet move or not.

This also makes me wonder, are there any Teru-Samas (Japanese: , Kabichuu) in Pocket Monsters Kin/Gin that have different effects to those in Gold and Silver? In Gold/Silver, if you hack a USE option on them, there are three Teru-Samas, 06h, 38h (Poké Flute) and BEh with unique effects that don't bring up Professor Oak's "This isn't the time to use that!" message when you use them.

Re: Pokémon Gold/Silver Movement Type 02

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2013-05-09 00:27:13

In this article on GlitterBerri about the Skateboard promised during the development of Pocket Monsters 2, there is a translation of this page from The Scrapped Pokémon Support Group where the author believes that data for the Skateboard remains in Pocket Monsters Kin/Gin. They claim to have found data for the Skateboard in Kin/Gin and talk about the way that the player walks along while sliding, presumably referring to movement type 02. Though I'm not convinced that this is actually unused data for the Skateboard.

Same here. The article pulls a whole item out of nowhere. Ive seen nothing to indicate any of this, and theres not enough detail in the persons methodology to replicate, but I bet its just coincidence that the item he hacked together changes movement type.

Movement type 8 is Surfing Pikachu. Movement type is left unchanged when walking on ice but Im guessing that type 2 was an early implementation of ice, before they decided to tie it to collision data instead (maybe because they realized that ice shouldnt affect your overworld sprite).

In my professional opinion, this is not related to a skateboard item, and there is no evidence that anything skateboard-related exists in the ROM.

This also makes me wonder, are there any Teru-Samas (Japanese: , Kabichuu) in Pocket Monsters Kin/Gin that have different effects to those in Gold and Silver? In Gold/Silver, if you hack a USE option on them, there are three Teru-Samas, 06h, 38h (Poké Flute) and BEh with unique effects that don't bring up Professor Oak's "This isn't the time to use that!" message when you use them.

I doubt there are any differences between Japanese and English here (in general there are few such regional differences), but I havent checked.

Note: $06 is Town Map, $38 is Poké Flute. $BE is coincidence (there are only $B3 use pointers; the pointer for $be is read from invalid data).

Re: Pokémon Gold/Silver Movement Type 02

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-05-09 07:45:30
Thanks for your reply. So it seems movement type 2 is unused? I don't know for sure, though. I used the Gameshark codes 01053ED0 and 010A3FD0 to warp myself to Blackthorn City in Pocket Monsters Kin/Gin, then when I stepped on the ice in the Ice Path the movement type byte D675 didn't change either.