Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Satoshi Tajiri: A man who created Pokémon - page numbers of the concept art - Page 1

Satoshi Tajiri: A man who created Pokémon - page numbers of the concept art

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-07-04 05:12:52
I bought the book "Satoshi Tajiri: A man who created Pokémon" (Japanese: 尻 っ) from Amazon Japan. It seems it has two covers, the one starring Pulseman with Pikachu and another with cards of Pokémon. I have the one with cards of Pokémon on it.

Most of the pages have just plain text, but some of the pages at the back have Capsule Monsters artwork.

All of those have already been scanned in high resolution by an associate of Redstar (I believe) but I think the page numbers were removed. Here they are:

Page 285: No artwork, but a prediction of how Capsule Monsters would be received.
Page 286/287: Opening storyboards (in order of the Glitterberri article)
Page 288/9: Opening storyboards (in order of the Glitterberri article)
Page 290: Gōsu vs. Yadon
Page 291: Karabajio vs. Mimī
Page 292: Adventuring with Pokémon
Page 293: Monster Caspule
Page 294: Kabīn encounter (1)
Page 295: Kabīn encounter (2 - Captured)
Page 296: Old Man (shopkeeper)
Page 297: Buhī for Papyō trade (1)
Page 298: Buhī for Papyō trade (2)
Page 299: Buhī for Papyō trade (3)
Page 300/1: Town
Page 302: Interaction on a route/Trainer's bedroom in the hotel
Page 303: Hotel Check-in

It seems the other sketches, like the early Kanto map, Capsule Monsters cover sheet, Red riding on Lapras, etc. are not found in the book and were only shown elsewhere, probably from exhibitions.

I was going to get New Game Design, which has at least two pre-release screenshots from Red/Green, but unfortunately it was too expensive. I might buy it if it comes up cheaper.

Re: Satoshi Tajiri: A man who created Pokémon - page numbers of the concept art

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2013-07-04 13:39:25
All of the TGBUS stuff or whatever that place is called has 404'd, just so you know.

Otherwise, concept art and things of that nature are always interesting.

Date: 2013-07-05 06:44:51
Thanks Yuzihax. The original thread is here. It seems they don't allow hotlinking, so direct links to the images only work for me. Also, it seems one of the pictures (Karabajio vs Mimī) isn't working anymore full stop although you can find it on GlitterBerri here.

I've archived the thread here on archive.is, in case the whole thing goes down, although due to some sort of bug grabbing the thread only copied the header, so I had to put the thread in printer friendly mode before archiving it, which omitted a few pictures for some reason (although I've posted the links to those already).

You should be able to find them in the GlitterBerri article/elsewhere like Bulbapedia otherwise.

Also, here's the huge version of those Kokāna, Kasanagī, etc. sprites. (archived)

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2013-07-06 17:26:08
I stumbled upon a website with info on this book a couple weeks ago, it's so cool to see the old concept work and how far it's come!

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-07-10 23:45:22
I saw those on Did You know gaming. Nice to have a description with it though.

Date: 2013-08-23 06:04:05

I was going to get New Game Design, which has at least two pre-release screenshots from Red/Green, but unfortunately it was too expensive. I might buy it if it comes up cheaper.

I got it, special thanks to IIMarckus who offered to split the price.

It turns out those two pre-release screenshots were the only ones of Pokémon, unfortunately. The book focused seemed to focus on things like hardware and graphics and showed already released games except for Pokémon. I'm not sure if there were other unreleased games, though.

Here they are in higher resolution.

[img]http://i.minus.com/jGleFW5Ptokb7.jpg[/img]

Also, here are links to the front and back covers, that feature some pre-release Pokémon sprites:

Front, Back

To view them in higher resolution, highlight the image first and then click the button on the top right.

Here are the pages under the Pocket Monsters section.

Date: 2015-12-24 10:33:35
I have reuploaded the screenshots on Photobucket. Enjoy!

http://s1271.photobucket.com/user/Torchickens/library/New%20Game%20Design