Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Ruby Debug and VBA - Page 1

Ruby Debug and VBA

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2013-10-02 16:46:23
Having re-discovered an interest in the Debug version of Ruby recently, I couldn't wait to play it, but as GBA games won't work on my phone emulator, I had no choice but to use an emulator, VBA, on my computer.

Predictably, problems ensued almost instantly. I have downloaded the ROM, installed VBA successfully, etc., but it will not load it without some kind of help from a BIOS thingy with which I am not familiar. My attempts to download additional materials to assist me in the process only resulted in me being bombarded with websites which wanted me to try their crappy browsers and search engines before I could proceed.

Having had no previous experience with PC emulators, I'd just like to be able to run the ROM for the Ruby Debug edition on my PC as smoothly as possible. Any advice that will help me with this is much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Ruby Debug and VBA

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-10-02 18:47:05
You could try using another emulator.  I've heard that VBA is not entirely accurate (I've recently seen first hand how terrible some of the very old versions were, although they're probably a lot better nowadays).

I've heard that bizhawk/Gambatte is meant to be perfectly accurate, so perhaps try that?

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-10-03 03:57:01

You could try using another emulator.  I've heard that VBA is not entirely accurate (I've recently seen first hand how terrible some of the very old versions were, although they're probably a lot better nowadays).

I've heard that bizhawk/Gambatte is meant to be perfectly accurate, so perhaps try that?

From the webpage: https://code.google.com/p/bizhawk/ it does not do GBA games, so Bizhawk is not going to be too helpful here. As far as I know, VBA and NO$GBA are the only GBA emulators really out there (Mednafen doesn't count because its GBA engine is based on VBA code). So more to the point: Why do you apparently need the BIOS to run it? I just opened the Ruby debug ROM myself with no BIOS file configured, and it works just fine. Perhaps if you're using an old version of VBA, try VBA-M or VBA-ReRecording instead. I don't think the unforked version is actively developed anymore, but those two seemingly are.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-10-03 04:32:33
Try VBA Rerecording. The original VBA is inaccurate. It can freeze/lock up your game in undesired situations.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-10-03 06:22:00
it does not do GBA games, so Bizhawk is not going to be too helpful here.

Whoops, I should probably learn to do my reading before spouting nonsense, shouldn't I? :P