Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Fixing 169 broken Pokemon game cartridges - Page 1

Fixing 169 broken Pokemon game cartridges

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-12-08 21:30:16
Thought this would hold some interest for many of you, especially when he discusses some "possessed" games.

http://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Blue/Fix/

Re: Fixing 169 broken Pokemon game cartridges

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-12-08 21:58:13
Reading this makes me feel very lucky to still have all my old gameboy cartridges working so well!

Blue works fine, and Gold only forgot the date so far!

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-12-08 22:09:45
I like the reverse gym run TAS on that site.

Date: 2013-12-08 22:57:38

Reading this makes me feel very lucky to still have all my old gameboy cartridges working so well!

You're lucky indeed, though I'm not sure how much longer the batteries will last.  :-\

I had a Silver that erased itself after 11 years…

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-12-09 02:57:03
I wonder what the condition of the ROMs are like in some of the carts (for example, the one where a lot of the sprites are some black weird thing).

Btw, I note he has like 3 carts like my old Red cart (here's a video of a Blue cart in the same condition as my old Red cart, for example).

Date: 2013-12-09 04:41:09

I wonder what the condition of the ROMs are like in some of the carts (for example, the one where a lot of the sprites are some black weird thing).

Btw, I note he has like 3 carts like my old Red cart (here's a video of a Blue cart in the same condition as my old Red cart, for example).

It would be interesting to see a full copy of the damaged ROM compared to a normal cartridge's ROM to see which parts are damaged.

You're lucky indeed, though I'm not sure how much longer the batteries will last.  :-\

I had a Silver that erased itself after 11 years…

The Gold version's clock has been not working for a year or so.  I regret the decision I made a few days ago - I saved and now the time is working.  I fear that it will wear down the battery more.  I'm not sure why it bothers me such when I only ever boot the game to see if it works nowadays.  I guess it involves some childhood memories that I don't want to lose or something… but nowadays I can't even trust my memory to be accurate anyway, I suppose.  I know already that I tend to live in the past but that's a personal choice that I'd rather not try to explain…

As for Blue, I thought those were meant to last almost forever anyway due to the internal battery wearing down only very slowly.  I suppose I was wrong.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-12-09 06:57:17

It would be interesting to see a full copy of the damaged ROM compared to a normal cartridge's ROM to see which parts are damaged.

I know you can use an N64 + transfer pak as a rom dumper.. but I have neither. lol.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-12-09 22:41:53
Yeah i saw that website when I posted about my broken blue. So I've talked to a few quote unquote gaming techies and it seems that the question of putting conductive adhesive or contacts would work or not gave out a quite interesting answer; "I don't know"

So my hypothesis is that since the end that works on the contacts will touch the NEW contact, that it shall re align the electric current and thus work once again.

…now all I need is the money for the resources.

Date: 2013-12-09 23:27:30
I guess he could always try "shifting" cartridge and seeing the results - that should be able to confirm if the error is just the contacts - which sounds much more reasonable than the ROM being consistently corrupted in the same way.

This post seems to be three or so years old anyway, I suppose he didn't ever write an update on it anywhere?

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-12-10 04:27:16

I guess he could always try "shifting" cartridge and seeing the results - that should be able to confirm if the error is just the contacts - which sounds much more reasonable than the ROM being consistently corrupted in the same way.

This post seems to be three or so years old anyway, I suppose he didn't ever write an update on it anywhere?

Well to get mine to work temporarily i slightly unscrewed the screw so that it pushes back on the gameboy to connect the contacts closer. It'll work fine 1/4 times i turn on my gameboy and then crash if barely touched.

Date: 2014-03-20 00:44:34
Just a stupid question here. What could cause the game to overwrite data in order for glitches like those to occur?

Saving the game after a little Gamesharking? Other glitches?