Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

So a certain bank was released in Australia today - Page 1

So a certain bank was released in Australia today

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2014-02-04 06:35:28
And normally, I would take the opportunity to dash over to these forums and post something among the lines of "HAHAHAHAHA SUCK IT AMERICANS", and I was seriously about to do just that. But unfortunately a voice popped up in my head that said "Hey Andrew, don't you think you should actually try it out first?". And so I did, and was met with this.

BOX 1

Is it okay to transfer this Box?

(Actually, that's not completely true, I was first met with "Download the Poke Transporter" because I thought Bank and Transporter were supposed to be integrated which annoyed me slightly because navigating the eShop is a pain in the dick. I have to wait for the completely unnecessary spinning circle to stop before I can press the Home button? Are you fucking kidding me?)

Anyways, this is the only option you have other than selecting No and exiting. Not even to just transfer one Pokémon at a time, or hell, even if the programmers behind this are too fucking stupid to pull that off, selecting another fucking box. And there was shit in that Box 1 on my White version I didn't feel like transferring just yet, so I had to go into the game to move around every single one but 3 (a Delibird, Joltik, and Pupitar just to try things out) into another box. And let me tell you, moving shit around in Gen 5 when you don't have an orange glove is not a fucking entertaining activity. See I dunno about you, but I play Pokémon to enjoy myself, not do things that are seriously about as entertaining as household chores.

Now normally, this kind of thing wouldn't bother me at all. I would even consider it whining. But after the pretty much worst launch of any cloud service (that didn't need to actually be a fucking cloud service, and if you think "B-b-but they couldn't get it to work otherwise!" then actually try proving me wrong) I've ever seen with the weakest excuses I've ever heard of, this is the icing on the fucking iceberg. I'm seriously wondering how a company that makes all sorts of great games can release a product that fails this hard in every single way.

Overall, I give it this rating:

0/10

I'm fucking serious. Don't buy Pokémon Bank ever. Maybe use the free trial as I am and get your Celebi, but just transfer everything you can and get out of there after the 30 days are up and afterwards get everything off Wifi. It is not worth your money (no matter how much $5 a year isn't), and if not that, it is not worth your time signing up for accounts and agreeing to bullshit EULAs (if you actually believe it is a good thing that it will erase nicknames deemed 'offensive' please never use the internet ever again). Also, Nintendo needs to be sent a message that this bullshit is not fucking okay. They're not in the economic position to be fucking around here (lately it surprises me 0% that their share prices are dropping and all that shit).

Re: So a certain bank was released in Australia today

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-02-04 07:04:04
But where will I store my future living dex? And Pokégen my shit? :/

Well, the price here is about $3.69 anyway with today's dollar currency. Thanks for letting us know about the "only transfer a whole box". I'll keep everything ready to dump into it once Bank is out.

EDIT: a few users from /vp/ are reporting save corruption, both on cart/digital and 1.1/1.2 versions. Beware kids. I won't use Bank while it's not updated or something, hopefully they'll fix until American release. Of course can still be fake because of the amount of people mad from it not being released in 'Murica or something.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-02-04 12:20:04

And let me tell you, moving s**t around in Gen 5 when you don't have an orange glove is not a fucking entertaining activity. See I dunno about you, but I play Pokémon to enjoy myself, not do things that are seriously about as entertaining as household chores.

In Black/White 2 there is a yellow icon on the touch screen on the box menu that once selected lets you highlight multiple Pokémon by holding A and using the D-pad/Circle Pad so you can use that to move all 30 Pokémon in another box to box 1. Unfortunately it's not in the original Black/White and most people probably have their best Pokémon on there.

I agree that Poké Transporter isn't very good. Like you said, it would be much better if at least the developers could make it so that you could select to transfer one of the other 23 boxes or only a few Pokémon.

I also would have preferred if it let you transfer hold items, removing unobtainable (as in Cherish Ball, etc.) items if necessary, though they haven't allowed that since Generation IV. I do believe if the developers put more time in to this program they could have implemented it. Maybe part of the reason why they didn't was to counter hacking, but that would be rather extreme.

Also, this may be controversial, but sometimes I think if the versions are going to not be fully backwards compatible (as in both trading forward and trading back) why don't they let you just clone them so you keep them on both games? I know that's a little weird, but it would allow players to use their Pokémon on older games when they feel nostalgic and it would probably be easier to program. That's why I'm keeping some of the Pokémon I originally used on Black 2 to beat the Elite Four, also so I wouldn't have to grind/play parts of the game again if only weak Pokémon remain.

Date: 2014-02-04 16:49:45

Also, this may be controversial, but sometimes I think if the versions are going to be non-backwards compatible why don't they let you just clone them so you keep them on both games? I know that's a little weird, but it would allow players to use their Pokémon on older games when they feel nostalgic and it would probably be easier to program. That's why I'm keeping some of the Pokémon I originally used on Black 2 to beat the Elite Four, also so I wouldn't have to grind/play parts of the game again if only weak Pokémon remain.

I don't really understand why not two-sided compatibility. I know Amie stats would vanish and so their memories (although this would render Anistar memories girl useless as pentagon validation check), but that could be warned, plus the older games don't seem to mind the pokémon having an advanced game ID which is what let them have fake pentagons in first place. Same from Gen 5 > Gen 4, in that case I don't think the pokés would lose anything at all, given they have the same structure since Diamond/Pearl, with the lack of contest stats. That'd give an awesome TM/move tutor compatibility with Gen 6's easy perfect breeding mechanic. Yes this is really utopian. Maybe they got afraid of doing it again after the disaster the Gen 2<->1 transfer was? But the way it's being is like: Congrats you got a new game, bring your beloved friends from the old one to your new home, without looking back. Ever. I miss Stealth Rock TM :(

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2014-02-04 22:15:18
I don't see how they're circumventing hacking at all, won't people just hack the Pokémon in Gen 3/4/5 and import them over?  Also iirc no items was a thing when going Gen 4 –> Gen 5 too… :(

Also, no orange glove in Gen 6? Really? What the fuck, Nintendo!?

Date: 2014-02-04 22:24:30
Afaik despite the delay they haven't done anything new to stop the hacks at all. So people can still gen level 1 Gengars that will make through (yes, it does). The only thing was that recently it was found that the Anistar girl who tells the pokémon's memories can be used to tell if a pokémon is truly a Kalos-native (since shortly after Bank release it was found by a /vp/ hacker that you could transfer pokés with advanced game IDs and locations that would get the Kalos pentagon upon arrival), but that doesn't really have to do with Bank development itself, so yeah, they probably did nothing. And the pentagon is pretty much relevant just for VGCs (and some ignorant people who thing it's literally a hack check, but these people would not know about the Anistar girl thing).

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2014-02-05 04:35:56

a few users from /vp/ are reporting save corruption, both on cart/digital and 1.1/1.2 versions. Beware kids. I won't use Bank while it's not updated or something, hopefully they'll fix until American release.

Corruption of the Gen 5 save file or the Gen 6 one? Either way I'm going to avoid even using this shit until they fix it. Of course, they won't extend the trial to compensate people for their own fuckup causing lost time waiting for a patch, but yeah.

Also, this may be controversial, but sometimes I think if the versions are going to not be fully backwards compatible (as in both trading forward and trading back) why don't they let you just clone them so you keep them on both games? I know that's a little weird, but it would allow players to use their Pokémon on older games when they feel nostalgic and it would probably be easier to program. That's why I'm keeping some of the Pokémon I originally used on Black 2 to beat the Elite Four, also so I wouldn't have to grind/play parts of the game again if only weak Pokémon remain.

If Nintendo and/or its subsidiaries (I'm just going to use Ninty as an umbrella term for all relevant developers here) applied the same lack of forethought to this idea as they did to all the other Pokémon Bank stuff, you would be able to just keep cloning your Pokémon from Gen 5 to infinite proportions and raise an army of Kyogres or whatever. Now personally I think 1) If someone wants to do that who gives a shit and 2) I'm sure they could work out a way to use the personality value or whatever (or perhaps there's some hidden unused space in the Gen 5 data structures that could be used for a flag), or even just the hypothetical Clone Transporter app keeping track of which game cards have transferred which mons or whatever but it's pretty clear that nobody with the power and position to make this kind of thing happen thinks either of those two things.

I don't really understand why not two-sided compatibility. I know Amie stats would vanish and so their memories (although this would render Anistar memories girl useless as pentagon validation check), but that could be warned, plus the older games don't seem to mind the pokémon having an advanced game ID which is what let them have fake pentagons in first place. Same from Gen 5 > Gen 4, in that case I don't think the pokés would lose anything at all, given they have the same structure since Diamond/Pearl, with the lack of contest stats. That'd give an awesome TM/move tutor compatibility with Gen 6's easy perfect breeding mechanic. Yes this is really utopian. Maybe they got afraid of doing it again after the disaster the Gen 2<->1 transfer was? But the way it's being is like: Congrats you got a new game, bring your beloved friends from the old one to your new home, without looking back. Ever. I miss Stealth Rock TM :(

In all fairness, the data structures internally are probably completely different in each game and making them backwards compatible would indeed be very difficult. However, the existence of the Transporter means that it is at least possible to convert the data one way. Therefore, when 12 year old fanboys/Bulbagarden Facebook page admins (same thing really) start responding to people discussing valid criticism about Pokémon Bank with "STOP WHINING!!!111!! THEY COULDN'T GET THE TRANSFER TO WORK SO THEREFORE THE CLOUD IS THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN POSSIBLY WORK!!" they are being full of shit, and apparently have no understanding of how technology works to the point where they think external servers can magically store information that an SD card cannot.
But anyways, that's a different story. This is one Pokémon community where everyone has comm-mostly everyone. But if anyone thinks I'm incorrect in any way that it would have been perfectly possible for Nintendo to:

Just have a downloadable 3DS app (it could have cost money for all I give a shit, hey I bought the Pokedex 3D Pro too and that was fine) where you insert a B/W/B2/W2 game card in, you open the app, store a Pokémon or multiple on an SD card or the 3DS's internal memory, close the app and put the X/Y cart in (maybe it's possible to swap out the game card while a downloaded app's running and then you only need to use RAM for storage, but let's assume worst case scenario), open the app, retrieve your Pokemon and behind the scenes it converts the data structures as necessary in the same way that Transporter does now, close the app and you're done without any need for servers that apparently have issues with quality of service (this would actually be a good thing from Ninty's finances perspective).
Then by all means prove me wrong, but (I'm not saying any of you guys would do this, but others from the interwebs would) actually do that with facts and sources or even just something devoid of logical fallacies, not by jumping up and down and shouting about whining as though I'm somehow expecting something for nothing and I'm not a potential consumer of a company that really needs the money these days.

Anyways, not letting items through I can sort of understand because not all items are going to be there (TMs mostly, though I don't think you can hold those anymore and I'm too lazy to check) in the new games but I think a simple solution would be to just have a message box in that scenario saying "The item your Pokémon is holding is not available in the Kalos region" or however they like to word it and let the rest through.

I don't see how they're circumventing hacking at all, won't people just hack the Pokémon in Gen 3/4/5 and import them over?

If someone uses ILLEGAL and UNAUTHORIZED cheating devices to give their Pokémon stats and movesets that are still obtainable without them and it doesn't give them any tactical advantage whatsoever in a battle then that is just ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE and Nintendo must do EVERYTHING in their power to stop them (EVERY LITTLE THING COUNTS) as they are RUINING THE GAME FOR EVERYONE including the people who don't even play multiplayer games (and those people better not be allowed to swear either! That personally affects me somehow!)! And don't even get me started on those AWFUL cheaters who would HACK their games to give themselves event Pokémon they had genuine reasons for not being able to get to (say not being born in a major city, being in the wrong country entirely which is of course ENTIRELY their fault) or having a full-time job in the daytime, or heaven forbid just didn't get around to it at the time)! There is a special place of hell for those cretins! The mere thought that someone has a Mew when they never even were magically able to just stroll over to Japan back in 2005 when they would have been around 13 or so is just UNFORGIVABLE and RUINS my personal gameplay experience for THE REST OF MY LIFE! Even those single-player people again who don't even have a use for said Mew besides their own collection! Those freaks shouldn't even count as players! Every single aspect of the Pokémon games should revolve entirely around multiplayer!
Sarcasm, by the way.

Date: 2014-02-05 05:53:14
such text, much long, wow

Corruption of the Gen 5 save file or the Gen 6 one? Either way I'm going to avoid even using this shit until they fix it. Of course, they won't extend the trial to compensate people for their own fuckup causing lost time waiting for a patch, but yeah.

The save corruption doesn't seem to serious, apparently the other reports were joke/fake, and only the OP gave some sort of proof. It was the X/Y save, and he had a retail cart with latest update.

In all fairness, the data structures internally are probably completely different in each game and making them backwards compatible would indeed be very difficult. However, the existence of the Transporter means that it is at least possible to convert the data one way. Therefore, when 12 year old fanboys/Bulbagarden Facebook page admins (same thing really) start responding to people discussing valid criticism about Pokémon Bank with "STOP WHINING!!!111!! THEY COULDN'T GET THE TRANSFER TO WORK SO THEREFORE THE CLOUD IS THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN POSSIBLY WORK!!" they are being full of shit, and apparently have no understanding of how technology works to the point where they think external servers can magically store information that an SD card cannot.

etc etc

I don't think the structure is too different. They all seem similar since Gen 4 to the current Gen 6, as I can see from using Pokésav/etc and Instacheck while it worked for Gen 6. And the way these third-party free program made by small group can easily "convert" pokémon between Gen 4<->5 without much effort… Something gets added, something gets removed, no big deal. Gen 3 yes, was really different. I can be wrong since idk the very technical stuff, but the structure seem very similar, with some things getting removed along the way like contest stats.

If someone uses ILLEGAL and UNAUTHORIZED cheating devices to give their Pokémon stats and movesets that are still obtainable without them and it doesn't give them any tactical advantage whatsoever in a battle then that is just ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE and Nintendo must do EVERYTHING in their power to stop them (EVERY LITTLE THING COUNTS) as they are RUINING THE GAME FOR EVERYONE including the people who don't even play multiplayer games (and those people better not be allowed to swear either! That personally affects me somehow!)! And don't even get me started on those AWFUL cheaters who would HACK their games to give themselves event Pokémon they had genuine reasons for not being able to get to (say not being born in a major city, being in the wrong country entirely which is of course ENTIRELY their fault) or having a full-time job in the daytime, or heaven forbid just didn't get around to it at the time)! There is a special place of hell for those cretins! The mere thought that someone has a Mew when they never even were magically able to just stroll over to Japan back in 2005 when they would have been around 13 or so is just UNFORGIVABLE and RUINS my personal gameplay experience for THE REST OF MY LIFE! Even those single-player people again who don't even have a use for said Mew besides their own collection! Those freaks shouldn't even count as players! Every single aspect of the Pokémon games should revolve entirely around multiplayer!
Sarcasm, by the way.

Making this message is easier than actually fixing the broken filter.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2014-02-05 15:46:56

Sarcasm, by the way.

>Mimic transform rage glitch in D/P
>Import to Gen 5
>Import to Gen 6

What happens in this case?  Does it block it as "hacked"?

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-02-08 13:57:37

>Import to Gen 5
>Import to Gen 6

I hope not. If I can expect this sort of leniency, maybe I could even get away with sending up my cloned Pomeg glitch stuff like Lv.5 Tyranitars, Salamences, Meganiums or whatever else I feel like.

Date: 2014-02-08 17:02:16

>Import to Gen 5
>Import to Gen 6

I hope not. If I can expect this sort of leniency, maybe I could even get away with sending up my cloned Pomeg glitch stuff like Lv.5 Tyranitars, Salamences, Meganiums or whatever else I feel like.

Considering level 1 Gengar made through in the first release, there's a chance these will as well. Though Bank itself got updated to 1.1 before international release, and might block these by now.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-19 18:08:36

Remember Time Capsule?
Remember the Johto Guard Glitch?
Something's will happen if Game Freak does backwards compatibility.

While Stealth Rox is cool and stuff, the meta revolves too much around it.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-04-21 05:20:45

Remember Time Capsule?
Remember the Johto Guard Glitch?
Something's will happen if Game Freak does backwards compatibility.

Remember the Time Capsule text in Gen 3?

It was originally planned there. I wonder what made Game Freak abandon it.

(The existence of the text makes me wonder if there's some kind of code remnants of Time Capsule..)