Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokémon Center theme - Page 1

Pokémon Center theme

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-03-05 15:59:44
So I've always wanted to play a Pokémon Center theme on piano, and the theme from GSC is my favourite rendition.

I've listened to it over and over by the piano in order to play it by ear, but all I've gotten so far is the melody. The accompaniment is difficult to pinpoint, and I haven't been able to find any sheet music that matches the music exactly how it's played in GSC.

Forgive my lack of technical expertise if you will, but I was wondering if it would be possible somehow to separate the melody from the accompaniment using hacking commands or some similar tools. If I were able to hear the accompaniment on its own, I would have no problem playing that by ear and completing the piece.  :)

Re: Pokémon Center theme

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2014-03-05 16:22:52

So I've always wanted to play a Pokémon Center theme on piano, and the theme from GSC is my favourite rendition.

I've listened to it over and over by the piano in order to play it by ear, but all I've gotten so far is the melody. The accompaniment is difficult to pinpoint, and I haven't been able to find any sheet music that matches the music exactly how it's played in GSC.

Forgive my lack of technical expertise if you will, but I was wondering if it would be possible somehow to separate the melody from the accompaniment using hacking commands or some similar tools. If I were able to hear the accompaniment on its own, I would have no problem playing that by ear and completing the piece.  :)

In VBA or similar, go to options > sound > and then uncheck Channels 1-4 to deactivate all sound channels.  Channel 1 and 2 are your square waves (melody and accompany depending), channel 3 is your triangle wave or bass line, and channel 4 is percussion.  Turn each one on individually and you should be able to listen to each part without the other parts playing.

Re: Pokémon Center theme

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-03-06 05:39:59
I knew I came to the right place!  ;) Just what I was looking for.

Although personally I've had nightmarish experiences with the downloading and running of VBA, I know a friend who uses VBA to run Pokémon Crystal, so this will work for sure.