Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Hidden signposts in Pokémon Crystal - Page 1

Hidden signposts in Pokémon Crystal

Posted by: Stilgar
Date: 2014-04-14 19:23:55
I was looking at the Pokémon Crystal text dump at iimarck.us and some lines of text left me a bit surprised. I am referring to:
"There's a graffiti on the wall… A1 added a mustache!" "What is this? House for Sale…Nobody lives here" and "It's a photo of people fishing…They're having a great time…".
Having played Crystal many times I am familiar with almost all lines of text (I like talking to all the NPCs everytime in every game I play) but I swore I have never seen these dialogues before, so I started up my game and started searching for them. In the text dump they are respectively near the dialogues of the Celadon Mansion, Cerulean City and Vermilion City, so I went there to read all the signposts in there, with no success. So I opened a map editor to look for "suspicious" signpost tiles in these towns and the routes nearby, again with no success, but upon looking carefully again I noticed some odd things, there were some tiles that had both warp and signpost data, plus a Town Map on a wall with a signpost data. Went looking there and…success!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/Cxzbfp3.png?1?2407[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/NnfJgL3.png?1?6718[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/R100JOS.png?1?7754[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/CWSqjJ5.png?1?9447[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/cxH0if9.png?1?9163[/img]

The places are respectively: the last floor of the Celadon Mansion, the former Day Care in Route 5 and the Fishing Guru's House. I wonder why the developers placed these signs in such weird places, especially the one at the Mansion is VERY hidden and nobody would go there clicking on a random wall, a random Town Map or in front of a door that isn't locked.
Did you know about these? Maybe I am the only one but I find these kinds of "easter eggs" very interesting and fascinating. I checked in HeartGold and they don't appear at all (the only similar thing is an open book with a picture in the Guru's house).

Re: Hidden signposts in Pokémon Crystal

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-04-14 19:35:40
The "House for Sale" message looks familiar, but it's could be a false memory.

The graffiti one made me lol though.

Their odd placement indicates that they're definitely easter eggs (because really why would anyone look at the side of a staircase for any reason), but they might've had some kind of debugging purpose, perhaps? I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Sorry I haven't anything useful to add.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-14 19:42:42
Ah, those are interesting!

Talking about easter eggs, did you know that there is a rare chance (or maybe a 1 in every x occurrence) that Reed on the Lucky Number show will say "…Repeating myself gets to be a drag…". I recently saw this for myself in Gold several days ago, I don't know about Crystal. I first knew about it after I documented Pokégear Radio text in December 2009, and then much later in 2012, a user called Turner in that thread said he saw it.

Date: 2014-04-14 20:06:54

Ah, those are interesting!

Talking about easter eggs, did you know that there is a rare chance (or maybe a 1 in every x occurrence) that Reed on the Lucky Number show will say "…Repeating myself gets to be a drag…". I recently saw this for myself in Gold several days ago, I don't know about Crystal. I first knew about it after I documented Pokégear Radio text in December 2009, and then much later in 2012, a user called Turner in that thread said he saw it.

The "House for Sale" message looks familiar, but it's could be a false memory.

The graffiti one made me lol though.

Their odd placement indicates that they're definitely easter eggs (because really why would anyone look at the side of a staircase for any reason), but they might've had some kind of debugging purpose, perhaps? I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Sorry I haven't anything useful to add.

The strange thing about the signpost in the wall is that it doesn't exist in Gold, because the map is strangely different, I wonder why. Probably it was a redesign easter egg, or the map was actually different and the graffiti more visible. About the one in the door, probably the house was initially locked like other Kanto buildings (the Bike Shop and the Underground Path) and they forgot to remove the sign when adding the interior (or probably is a joke to scare the player since the old lady NPC says your life was in danger).
I didn't know about the rare message by Reed since I don't listen to the radio much, but (aside from the unused text lines of the PCC and the Battle Tower) something else that surprised me is the fact that you can have Buena's number after collecting 30 Blue Card points and call her after midnight (without hacking or manually changing the time it would take a month since you can try once a day, so I've never bothered doing that). If you look at the text dump there are many lines by her, including her talking about eating junk food with DJ Mary and wanting to go to the beach instead of visiting the Lavender Radio Tower.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-04-15 01:37:41
Definitely looks like Easter eggs to me. I wonder why TPP hasn't found these, given that they love looking at Town Maps.

Date: 2014-04-15 14:26:54
Surely because they are locations so random that it would have required some luck. But I doubt that TPP would have been interested in it.
Anyway, I have found another odd dialogue:

"Wow! A full rack
of POKéMON CDs and
videos.

This must be the
reference library."

that is located between the Fisherman that gives you the Super Rod and the Lavender Radio Tower texts, but I checked both with the rom editor and in the game and found nothing, so I suppose it's an unused signpost. Probably more floors in the Tower were planned and this is a leftover.
Could it be possible to find the offset for this dialogue and locate it exactly in the game or map editor? I am not so good at this so could someone check?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-16 10:02:33
So Sato (SatoMew2) made a video of the texts in the Japanese version. Check it out here.

He/she didn't show the Japanese version of "…Repeating myself gets to be a drag…", so I checked the myself and it's "………なと ば ってと つちな ", which is probably a more literal version of the same thing. You can see it easily by using the code 012922CF, listening to a radio channel and disabling it when the first part appears.

Also, see this, in case someone wants to see a video of the English text even though they're listed here.

Date: 2014-04-16 16:19:30
Thanks for posting the video, I think it was necessary and I am glad many people found it interesting.
Could somebody help me locate in the game the text I posted earlier? I am referring to this:

"Wow! A full rack
of POKéMON CDs and
videos.

This must be the
reference library."

I couldn't find it neither with the editor or in the game, in the dump the text is located between the dialogues of the fisherman that gives you the Super Rod and the Lavender Radio Tower ones. I couldn't find it in the disassembly, also. If it is nowhere to be found in the game, then it's an unused dialogue.

Posted by: padz
Date: 2014-04-16 23:49:35
I couldn't find it in the disassembly, also.

It's in the Lavender Radio Tower text. The signpost script is unreferenced.

UnknownScript_0x7eebc: ; 0x7eebc
jumptext UnknownText_0x7f36b
; 0x7eebf

UnknownText_0x7f36b: ; 0x7f36b
text "Wow! A full rack"
line "of #MON CDs and"
cont "videos."

para "This must be the"
line "reference library."
done
; 0x7f3b9

https://github.com/kanzure/pokecrystal/blob/master/maps/LavRadioTower1F.asm#L231-239

Date: 2014-04-17 07:44:24

I couldn't find it in the disassembly, also.

It's in the Lavender Radio Tower text. The signpost script is unreferenced.

UnknownScript_0x7eebc: ; 0x7eebc
jumptext UnknownText_0x7f36b
; 0x7eebf

UnknownText_0x7f36b: ; 0x7f36b
text "Wow! A full rack"
line "of #MON CDs and"
cont "videos."

para "This must be the"
line "reference library."
done
; 0x7f3b9

https://github.com/kanzure/pokecrystal/blob/master/maps/LavRadioTower1F.asm#L231-239

Thanks, I didn't find it the first time I checked. Anyway, it doesn't appear in the Lavender Radio Tower in the game, using the editor show no signpost with this line and I also double checked by checking every tile in the Lavender Radio Tower and this dialogue didn't appear, so I guess it's confirmed that it's an unused line of text (and I don't see racks of CDs and videos in the Tower aside from the stuff near the music director, probably it was programmed there.

EDIT: Forgot to add this. [img]http://i.imgur.com/DiPfdHU.png?1[/img]

If you enter the Museum normally, the Scientist tells you to pay and, if you talk to him again, that you are free to visit, if you sneak from the back he will explain you something about the Amber. But if you talk to him like this, he will tell you this.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2014-04-17 11:25:56

EDIT: Forgot to add this. [img]http://i.imgur.com/DiPfdHU.png?1[/img]

If you enter the Museum normally, the Scientist tells you to pay and, if you talk to him again, that you are free to visit, if you sneak from the back he will explain you something about the Amber. But if you talk to him like this, he will tell you this.

It's actually used in game and he seems to work just as a route guard does.  Though it's cool he has different scripts depending on which direction you talk to him.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/GjmC9YB.png[/img]

Date: 2014-04-17 12:38:58
Yeah right, it's possible without the WTW too, my memory failed me for a moment. Still, I didn't know it was possible.
How about this, though? It seems to be the only way to make this dialogue appear, so you have to be on the table with the WTW. It looks similar to the "Ops, wrong side" dialogue if you check your TV from the side.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/We8Twri.png?1[/img]

Also I need some help locating these lines in RBY in the text dump:

"SILPH's manager
is hiding in the
SAFARI ZONE."

The line seems to be located together with the dialogues belonging to the guy always sitting in the left couch of the Pokécenter, but none of them say this line. Also there is not a Silph manager in the Safari Zone, at least the Hidden House is not related to Silph in any way.
This seems to be a leftover line when the plot was different and there was an evil Silph's Chief (with the Trainer Class too).

Also this:

"Looked into the
binoculars.

It's a beautiful
view!"

that is located in the "Gate Houses with the binoculars" dialogues. I checked all of them and none of them show this text, also there are 10 binoculars in the game, but this is the 11th time it's mentioned in the dump. Probably it's a leftover one with a different text.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2014-04-17 12:46:10

Also there is not a Silph manager in the Safari Zone, at least the Hidden House is not related to Silph in any way.
This seems to be a leftover line when the plot was different and there was an evil Silph's Chief (with the Trainer Class too).

You sure?  It's the only house that has tons of machinery in it iirc.  The map was probably made before the plot change.  They kept the design but remade the scripts.

Date: 2014-04-17 13:55:29
I am 100% sure that in the game the Safari Zone is not related to the Silph at all, the guys there just work for the Warden. Probably the machinery is a hint at a previous plot. If it could be confirmed that these dialogues don't appear in the game, then new unused content has just been found, probably worthy mentioning in the TCRF article about RBY?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2014-04-17 23:13:59

Off topic:  Are you the same padz from the Mario Kart MB?