Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Viet Crystal was originally dumped by warez scene group EURASiA on May 31, 2001. - Page 1

Viet Crystal was originally dumped by warez scene group EURASiA on May 31, 2001.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-06-28 11:57:09
The MD5 and SHA1 hashes of the included ROM matches with my Viet Crystal ROM.

Here's the NFO. I'm sure those in the warez scene back then lol'd as much as many people on youtube did many years later at viet crystal…

Wonder what the manual and box of Viet Crystal looked like… they were probably filled with ELFWORLD references too :P

_________  _________  _________    _________ ________    ______  _______
  _/    ___/_/    /  /_/  ___    \ _/    _  //    ___/_ _/    /_/    _  \
  /.    ___//.    /  //.  \    __//.        /_\___  . //.    //.        /
  \________//_________//______\    \/______/__//_________//______//______/__/
  ---------------------------- \____\ --------------------------------------->

proudly presents
  ------------------- -- --- -- - - ---------------------------------------->

Game......: Pokemon Crystal

Released..: May 31th, 2001        -  System.....: Game Boy Color (GBC)
    Origin....: Taiwan                -  Genre......: RPG
    Company...: Nintendo              -  Copier.....: GB X-Changer
    Size......: 16 Mega Bit

release notes
  ---------------- -- --- -- - - ------------------------------------------->

Another day, another release.  Here's an interesting cartridge from
      the Far East for your enjoyment.  Its a rather interesting translation
      of the game due out in July.  The game is exactly as it is found on
      the cartridge. The cart came complete with a english booklet and box.

Check out the application section below if you think you can contribute
      to our group.

application info
  ------------------- -- --- -- - - ---------------------------------------->

Interested in being a part of Eurasia?  We are currently looking
      for people to be a part of our team.  We have a strong belief in
      group friendship and we make an effort to ensure that all members
      get exceptional benefits.  If you fit into any of these categories,
      please contact us for membership information:

- Suppliers of unreleased console games around the world. One must
        be able to contribute to one of the platforms we are known to
        release.  Note: DC suppliers must already have knowledge prior
        to applying.

- A coder with strong knowledge of Dreamcast, Playstation, or
        Playstation 2 who can crack or code tools that will shorten the
        time it takes us to release.

- A siteop who admins a good USA site.  We are currently looking
        for a good USA site affiliation.

If you fit into any of these categories, please contact us through
      IRC, on EFNet #EURASIA

our sites
  ------------ -- --- -- - - ----------------------------------------------->

- - -- ------------------.---------.------------------- -- - -
                      ftp sites  |  speed  |  status
        - - -- - ------------------+---------+------------------- - -- - -
                      The Pyramid  |  4xOC48 |  World HQ
                      The Trunk    | 100Mbit |  Europe HQ
                      RM          | 100Mbit |  Release HQ
          - - -- ------------------'---------`------------------- -- - -

contact us: efnet #eurasia

greets
  --------- -- --- -- - - -------------------------------------------------->

Capital, Crazy Nation, Dual Crew Shining, Echelon, High-Society,
            Kalisto, LightForce, Moonshine, Nil, Nightfall, Oldskool,
                    Paradox, Quasar, Resistance, & Static.

-- --- -- - - ------------------------------------------------------------>
                    EURASIA 2001 - FOR PLEASURE, NOT PRESSURE

Re: Viet Crystal was originally dumped by warez scene group EURASiA on May 31, 2001.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-06-28 15:36:16
Vietnamese Crystal is just a goldmine of laughs. I wonder if there are any more "translations" of other Pokémon games out there like it.

[font=courier]I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE![/font]

Re: Viet Crystal was originally dumped by warez scene group EURASiA on May 31, 2001.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-06-28 18:36:40
TheZZAZZGlitch did a couple using Bing Translator.

But yeah i really want to know what the box and manual of Viet Crystal looked like. They have to be worth some laughs.

Heck, a mint condition unopened viet crystal from 2001 has got to be worth something today given viet crystal's humourous reputation.

Posted by: Stilgar
Date: 2014-06-29 11:25:54

Vietnamese Crystal is just a goldmine of laughs. I wonder if there are any more "translations" of other Pokémon games out there like it.

[font=courier]I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE![/font]

MY SPUTA WILL FLOW DOWN.
DeliciousCinnamon (the ones who first did the original VietCrystal playthrough) also played a bad translation of Pokémon Green (you can find it by searching for "pokemon green english rom" on the net) which is not bad as VC but it's funny anyways and it's interesting because it looks like a literal translation from Japanese to English so I found it useful to check the localization differences (like the Old Man being drunk) and also I used it to perform stuff like the Yami Shop glitch to check whether the beta items like the unused badges were translated…and they were!
Right now DC are doing a playthrough of a Chinese bootlegged version of Pokémon Emerald and it seems very fun too. They also streamed a bootlegged version of Gold some time ago and it can also be found on the web as a ROM.

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2014-07-17 10:55:33
I learnt about Viet Crystal from a TRsRockin update in ~2006 and this video that significantly predates DeliciousCinnamon's.

DeliciousCinnamon (the ones who first did the original VietCrystal playthrough) also played a bad translation of Pokémon Green (you can find it by searching for "pokemon green english rom" on the net) which is not bad as VC but it's funny anyways and it's interesting because it looks like a literal translation from Japanese to English so I found it useful to check the localization differences (like the Old Man being drunk) and also I used it to perform stuff like the Yami Shop glitch to check whether the beta items like the unused badges were translated…and they were!

Used to experiment with it a bit when the first translations of the Dokokashira speedruns were translated in English…
"GREEN blacked out" "Before the GREEN\0It's so dim!"

80% OT: I met in person someone selling the legitimate Green, but 50 with no box and manual + 2,99 (local retail price of a big name brand CR2032) was just too much.