Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Pokemon game mechanics survey - Page 1

Pokemon game mechanics survey

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2014-07-05 01:13:50
We are doing a survey on fans opinion about various Pokemon game mechanics.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1RJ0rGR8db0du4cVWusHnsoA4-LOu5vw7Ecna0okEAyU/viewform

Re: Pokemon game mechanics survey

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-07-05 07:41:47

We are doing a survey on fans opinion about various Pokemon game mechanics.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1RJ0rGR8db0du4cVWusHnsoA4-LOu5vw7Ecna0okEAyU/viewform

Cool. A lot of responses so far. I had a go.

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2014-07-17 10:37:16
Tutorials like them – the pre-intro in FR/LG was fitting and so was the entire opening sequence in D/P. Norman and Wally's in R/S was a bit too long, but still nothing compared to the jobs all players of Animal Crossing have to endure…

Linearity OK in the classics (whether by design in badge order or sequence breaking the Rocket Hideout), less in 3rd and 4th generations but, at least partially, worth it for the tighter plots…

Puzzles OK (even though I remember getting stuck for multiple days on the Unown tile floors and the Ice Road in Crystal the first time!)

"usefulness of your Pokemon outside of battles" "fairly useful", I didn't really understand this question but I assume it refers to HMs and other moves with a non-battle effect. Another interpretation I came up with is about the not-so-mini-games like the contests, in which case the answer is the same: given the effort you have to put in and how much you can care, they're either too much or too little rewarding.

Story left blank: the gyms are "predictable" but also a constant of the series, everything else (rival team + backstory of legendaries + small things like the Trainers joining your team in D/P) is reasonably "exciting". If it was unnecessary I'd still be running a Netbattle server…

Post-game New regions. I might be biased as I started with Crystal, but it didn't feel as poorly implemented as most "one region and half" reviews claim. The Sevii Islands felt as such, but then you actually did visit 1/3 of them before wasting multiple days training for the League.

Difficulty Slightly hard. Ranging from reasonable in Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh games (train your starter and someone else and waste a few turns to heal damage from 2-3 super effectives, or spend 2-3x the time to train a team of 3 with comparable results), excessive grinding in the Kanto episodes (completely inverted in the classics thanks to the Growl 6x for level 100 glitch) I would have said OK, but since the first DS games they appear to be clearly trying more and more to make single-sweeper teams useless.

Customization OK. Maybe they could have used a few more bytes for having longer names instead of, hmmmm, natures or Pokedex text. Now they're censored anyway…

Most liked feature "Pokewalker" – they took literally the daycare logic of "1 step = 1 exp" and it would have been even better if you weren't limited to one extra level per sync

Most hated feature "Gen 3+ animations while using HMs", no exceptions. Close second: time limited events…

"Add anything" "Multi-save capability", either online or better, since they'll only make new games for the 3DS anyway, on SD. Sounds like a good way for Nintendo to completely redeem themselves from the "one game for the price of 2/3/6" criticism the series attracted, which for the other half was already fixed with online trading.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2014-07-17 15:55:57
Stickying for a bit

Posted by: Krazyguy75
Date: 2014-07-17 18:37:44
Tutorials: I like it. Just cause new players need it. However, I think all tutorials should have a "no thanks" option.

Linearity: Could be more open ended, in the sense of optional locations and quests, so long as they don't make it hard to play.

Puzzles: Ok, I guess (satisfactory). I don't love puzzles blocking the main quest line, but as side quest puzzles, they're OK. But please no more RNG puzzles (ex: Giratina's cave in D/P) nintendo! I don't want to have to guess my path randomly!

Out of battle pkmn: I really want an option for mediocre. Not good, not useless. I would really love it if the games had some of the Ranger "use X move to destroy Y".

Story: Predictable. This goes for every pokemon game, including the spinoffs. Kid goes away from home. Kid meets evil team. Kid meets philosophical random stranger. Kid thwarts minor evil plot. Kid meets helpful stranger. Kid learns about legendaries. Kid beats major evil plot regarding legendaries. Kid learns that philosophical stranger is secretly BBEG. BBEG succeeds on capturing legendary and is going to destroy the world. Kid beats BBEG. Legend is let loose and will destroy world if not stopped. Kid beats legend. Kid goes to elite 4. Kid finds out helpful stranger is the champion. Kid beats champion. Done, done, and done.

Post-end: I like regions, though I'm not even upset when it just unlocks a small area.

Wasn't sure what was meant by progression, so I left it blank.

Difficulty: Just right in some, too easy in others, too hard in others. However, usually it is pretty good.

Customization: Personally, I'm fine with the customization currently available. I have no need for anything more.