Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Gen 1 implementation of tile collision data - Page 1

Gen 1 implementation of tile collision data

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2014-07-17 14:19:45
This is a question I've been wondering on for years, but it came back into my mind after trying the save corruption glitch on Italian Yellow (which, tested with a name full of As and the rival's full of Js, must be reset quite a few frames after the yes/no box disappears… I got bored trying to reset after 4 attempts of adding 1 frame each time, loaded a state 2 frames in and immediately hit reset – immediately being defined as the time to move my finger from F7 to F11 – well, it worked) then switching team member 14 with 17.

After doing that you can't move anymore (unless you switch those "Pokèmon" back). Pressing Start shows you in the void.

Now, if we consider that swapping 1416 crashes the game (infamous vertical bars, then immediately turning to a white screen) as you close the menu* and that in Glitch City something similiar happens (what you see is not where you walk unless the menu is open), does this suggest the game holds the map data twice, actually rendering each tile at least twice (for appearance and attributes) instead of using a tileset database like you can see in EliteMap for Gen III games?
Given that these games store the Pokèmon number twice and mostly doesn't rely on a database for types, who knows…

*This actually contradicts how I understand the void is handled – that is, the crash is caused by the act of wrapping around the coordinates and triggering an unset connection while actually having an "excessive" position doesn't cause crashes…