Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Addendum to the Generation I hidden name easter eggs - Page 1

Addendum to the Generation I hidden name easter eggs

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-08-16 08:27:17
First off, the useful memory addresses for the Japanese versions are D11D (your name), and D2CE (rival's name). They are loaded into memory on the title screen and new game screen as the hidden names.

If you want to do your own research, try copying the bytes into your name after the end name character after a new game has loaded, and maybe refer to these lists. http://hax.iimarck.us/post/9778/

Note that D123 reads your party Pokémon count, not a character. Likewise, D2D4 reads the text speed.

There are hidden characters past the end (50) terminator. They don't seem to be random, but I didn't 'get' one:

Red/Green:

Player - まぐち, Yamaguchi is followed by an invisible (small 'i').
Rival - は, Ishihara is followed by an invisible ('a' with a dakuten).

Blue (Japanese):

Player - , Gfuri is followed by an invisible (ku).
Rival - , Kuricha is followed by an invisible 4.

Pikachu (Japanese)
Player - 1, Gfuri1 isn't followed by any invisible character.
Rival - , Kuricha is followed by an invisible ''.

My guess is that the small '' and '' were used for style. Here, the pronunciation of and is the same as the sound that comes before it, so it's like 'Yamaguchi~i' or 'Ishihara~a' (without the dakuten in , but is not standard).

I don't know why Kuricha is followed by '4'. Maybe it's meant to be pronounced '', so it would kind of sound like Creatures if you say it fast (kurichashi)? I'm not sure. I would have thought '' (su) would be better.

The '' after '' lengthens the abbreviation a little, to more like Gfreak.

Pre-set names are followed by invisible characters too, but I haven't documented them, except for the English versions of Red/Blue, where the names are like e.g. RED(50)ASH(50)JAC. I did notice that in Green the name of rival Red was followed by '', which may have been intended to be 'Sato' from 'Satoshi', but the game might have just taken it from the next pre-set name.

Re: Addendum to the Generation I hidden name easter eggs

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2014-08-21 04:02:43

There are hidden characters past the end (50) terminator. They don't seem to be random, but I didn't 'get' one:

Red/Green:

Player - まぐち, Yamaguchi is followed by an invisible (small 'i').
Rival - は, Ishihara is followed by an invisible ('a' with a dakuten).

Blue (Japanese):

Player - , Gfuri is followed by an invisible (ku).
Rival - , Kuricha is followed by an invisible 4.

Pikachu (Japanese)
Player - 1, Gfuri1 isn't followed by any invisible character.
Rival - , Kuricha is followed by an invisible ''.

My guess is

Careful, dont overthink it. The game doesnt do a nullterminated string copy to initialize these names, it just copies the maximum length of the string, which means it also grabs whatever byte happens to be following the name in the ROM. Notice how the following Yamaguchi is the that starts Ishihara, and the following Gfuri is the that starts Kuricha, because those names happen to be stored next to each other in ROM. Its the exact same as what happens with RED_ASH_JAC.

Re: Addendum to the Generation I hidden name easter eggs

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-08-21 14:11:14
Oh. Thanks much for your post IIMarckus. I may have put two and two together and made five.

In fact, my mistake, まぐち(END) was followed by a regular '', not a scaled down version.