Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Leftover Mimic behaviour (Generation II) - Page 1

Leftover Mimic behaviour (Generation II)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-12-15 13:54:47
In at least the Japanese version of Crystal, the old behaviour of Mimic from Generation I is present in the game, unused. The original behaviour was that you could copy any one of the opponent's moves.

The game brings up your moves with another box that says "どの のまね?" (which move should be Mimicked?).

In Generation II, Mimic was changed to copy the target's last move.

Hibiki Ganaha showed this in a video. After he/she selected a move to Mimic the game glitched up, but I don't know if that's because the interface was forced unexpectedly (after opening 'fight'). Maybe there is more code to this. On the other hand, the behaviour may be completely glitched.

Does anyone know what GameShark code(s) you can use to force the leftover Mimic behaviour?

Re: Leftover Mimic behaviour (Generation II)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-12-16 07:23:26
Seems the OP replied to your youtube comment and gave a gameshark code, but D266 seems to at first glance do something different in English Crystal; namely, it's set to 1 if a Run attempt fails with the "Can't escape!" text, then back to 0 after the game calls a function that I assume uses it.

Date: 2014-12-16 09:16:53
Thanks. The memory structure is different between English and Japanese Crystal.

What I try to do to port codes like this is look at the surrounding bytes and do a 32 bit data search in VBA (note you have to enter the bytes in reverse order). This doesn't always work if VBA doesn't think your values are a 32 bit byte, but from the beginning of the game I searched 27 9B -00- 00, and the 00 was at D235. 010135D2 brings up your fight screen box but doesn't let you back out, and choosing a move makes you use Struggle. I don't know if it's the same thing.

Edit: That code in English Gold is 01011FD1.
Edit 2: Japanese Gold - 010111D1.
Edit 3: English Crystal (listed again so it's easier to see) - 010135D2.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-12-16 14:57:10
It might be the same thing.

It clearly displays a string (at 3e61c) beside the move box, but that string is dummied out (just a single 50).

Date: 2014-12-16 16:36:46

It might be the same thing.

It clearly displays a string (at 3e61c) beside the move box, but that string is dummied out (just a single 50).

Ah, interesting. The string would start at the same coordinates as the Japanese version (BGB: x=0B, y=0E) so that makes it more likely.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2014-12-16 19:28:55
Interesting stuff guys. keep up the good work. Though, I thought Mimic in generation 1 just copied a random move rather than letting you choose it. (sort of like how disable disables a random move in generation 1)