Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Looking for a GameShark code - Page 1

Looking for a GameShark code

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2015-01-27 17:45:41
Does anyone know if there's a GameShark code for Crystal Version which lets you encounter every Pokémon in the wild? I know there's a code that summons wild Pokémon matching the code's hex value, but that's not the one I'm looking for.

Re: Looking for a GameShark code

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2015-01-27 18:31:52
Technically, you could use https://www.random.org/cgi-bin/randbyte?nbytes=1&format=h and refresh if it is FB-FF to encounter by 'random' I don't know the code for the set Pokémon encounter.

Date: 2015-01-27 19:15:09
That's pretty much the same thing as the code I'm not looking for. The code I'm talking about is one that would make all 251 Pokémon appear in the wild.

This is not the code:
91xx04D2

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2015-01-28 03:06:38
Are you saying something like on Route 29, I go into the grass and instead of seeing just Sentret/Rattata/Hoppip/Pidgey/Hoothoot, I can see any of the 251 Pokémon?

If so, thats not doable with a Gameshark code. It would require some (pretty trivial) changes to the game logic that just arent possible with a Gameshark. Game Genie might be doable. Easiest would be to just edit the disassembly for the effect you want.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2015-01-28 11:23:38
What exactly is the difference between a Gameshark and a Game Genie?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2015-01-28 13:59:19
On Game Boy, Gameshark can change WRAM ($C000$DFFF) and Game Genie can change ROM ($0002$7FFF). Since the game doesnt execute code in WRAM (most of the time), and cant store game state in ROM, they have different capabilities.

Date: 2015-01-28 17:07:11

Are you saying something like on Route 29, I go into the grass and instead of seeing just Sentret/Rattata/Hoppip/Pidgey/Hoothoot, I can see any of the 251 Pokémon?

Yup, that's exactly it.

If so, thats not doable with a Gameshark code. It would require some (pretty trivial) changes to the game logic that just arent possible with a Gameshark. Game Genie might be doable. Easiest would be to just edit the disassembly for the effect you want.

Aw, that's a drag. It figures the game has no problem making wild Charizard appear on Route 41, but making every Pokémon appear would be a hassle. Thanks for the tip!