Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Competitive Battling - Page 1

Competitive Battling

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2015-02-03 11:04:01
Is anyone here into competitive training (EV training, IV breeding, etc) and competitive battling? I've been getting into it for a while and I've gotten pretty efficient at EV training and I've been wanting to test my skill against some more-experienced battlers rather than just the Battle Maison.

Also, general competitive battling discussion thread.

Re: Competitive Battling

Posted by: Xiphiidae
Date: 2015-02-08 08:30:47
I've been getting pretty into competitive battling since XY's release, and even more so since ORAS.

I'd be happy to battle you (or anyone else) as well; the Maison and Battle Spot are tedious (3v3 can only be so fun). My FC is under my avatar, if you'd like to battle :)

As for my team, I'm testing out Megas, and it's been difficult finding one that I like. I've tried Alakazam and Gyarados, but I've found that I prefer their non-Mega forms more. At the moment I'm using physically-defensive Mega Venusaur, and I'm finding it pretty good.

Date: 2015-02-09 10:30:27
That's a smart idea so I put my friend code in my signature. I'll add you when I get home and then we can battle a few times if you're available.
I tried out Mega-Alakazam but prefer a Life Orb Alakazam rather than the Mega form. Physical-defensive Venusaur is an interesting set - most of the time I see specially-defensive Venusaurs online.

With my team, I've been playing around with a paraflinch Togekiss with a Razor Fang. It's so hellish to play against because around 80% of the time, the opposing Pokemon flinches.

Posted by: voltage
Date: 2015-02-09 23:40:39
I can't really do Wi-Fi battles, as I lack a 2/3DS and any Gen VI games at the moment, but I do use Showdown. My first Pokémon I EV trained was Rampardos in Diamond. I gave it an EV spread of 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed with a moveset of Rock Polish, Swords Dance, Head Smash and Earthquake. I am not really a fan of Stealth Rock.

Anyone here like CritDra?

Posted by: Xiphiidae
Date: 2015-02-10 03:51:37

That's a smart idea so I put my friend code in my signature. I'll add you when I get home and then we can battle a few times if you're available.
I tried out Mega-Alakazam but prefer a Life Orb Alakazam rather than the Mega form. Physical-defensive Venusaur is an interesting set - most of the time I see specially-defensive Venusaurs online.

With my team, I've been playing around with a paraflinch Togekiss with a Razor Fang. It's so hellish to play against because around 80% of the time, the opposing Pokemon flinches.

I'll be able to battle in a day or so; flying back home to Australia at the moment.

I've tried out both LO and Sash Alakazam, the fact that Magic Guard negates LO recoil makes it very tempting, but I've found Focus Sash to be very useful, especially with Thunder Wave. I opted for a physically-defensive Venusaur because my team had so much special bulk already.

Ah, yes, paraflinch Togekiss, I know it well. Much rage has been had at that set.

I can't really do Wi-Fi battles, as I lack a 2/3DS and any Gen VI games at the moment, but I do use Showdown. My first Pokémon I EV trained was Rampardos in Diamond. I gave it an EV spread of 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed with a moveset of Rock Polish, Swords Dance, Head Smash and Earthquake. I am not really a fan of Stealth Rock.

I should really get into Showdown, I've heard such good things.

I really dislike Stealth Rock and [Toxic] Spikes. I hope that Nintendo will one day give those moves an accuracy of 70% or something. (Same with Will-O-Wisp, but they actually increased the accuracy in Gen VI.)

I used CritDra for a while; it was pretty good, but there was something about it that I didn't really like, I don't know. I generally prefer using Pokémon that I like, but maybe I'll try it out again.

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2015-02-10 21:23:27
I used to like it many years ago (DP era) before Smogon hit the scene as hard as they did now, and blind battles were the norm.

I really dislike how Battle Spot does their battles (and also how Smogon works) so I tend to avoid it. When the Anything Goes meta came out, I was at the top of the latter for about five minutes, and was in the top 10 for a bit longer.

My favorite competitive Pokemon are probably tanky offensive mons like Tyranitar. Speed is extremely overrated imo.

Date: 2015-02-10 22:19:24

I've wanted one for so long but haven't been able to find one with the right IVs/nature on some trading subreddits. I rely on those to supply me with Pokemon since I haven't figured out how to breed, and, IMO, breeding is boring. Same goes for a SwagKeys set, but SwagKeys is kinda cheap.