Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Unused Distortion World maps (Platinum) - Page 1

Unused Distortion World maps (Platinum)

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-21 18:45:59
GermanPokemon has discovered and documented some unused maps of the Distortion World in Platinum.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGL7q4te30U

Re: Unused Distortion World maps (Platinum)

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2015-02-24 09:18:19
A lot of the early maps are interesting. Gives kind of an insight to the beta development of the games.

Date: 2015-02-24 10:36:59

A lot of the early maps are interesting. Gives kind of an insight to the beta development of the games.

Yeah. And I bumped into walls a lot because, as one can see, there are invisible paths in certain areas and I wanted to find them all :P

By the way, these maps are unsurprisingly absent from the Diamond and Pearl ROMs, in which valid map headers end with 22Eh. I tried 23Eh and the game loaded a Mystery Zone instead.

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2015-02-24 15:38:06

Yeah. And I bumped into walls a lot because, as one can see, there are invisible paths in certain areas and I wanted to find them all :P

By the way, these maps are unsurprisingly absent from the Diamond and Pearl ROMs, in which valid map headers end with 22Eh. I tried 23Eh and the game loaded a Mystery Zone instead.

Some of the empty house/building maps could also be templates for interiors so they all didn't have to be made by-hand each time. Many developers do that to ease time-constraints, so I don't see a reason why Game Freak wouldn't.

Speaking of which, since some of the maps lack textures on certain tiles, I'm wondering if the game uses CSG (constructive solid geometry) in conjunction with models.

Date: 2015-09-21 11:39:58
Found a new unused map in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It seems they planned a record mixing room like the one in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu2RpMOB1eE