Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Core game music in spin-offs - Page 1

Core game music in spin-offs

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-09-02 17:58:14
Pokémon Pinball's Blue Field theme is a rearrangement of Pokémon Gold's and Silver's Ecruteak and Cianwood City theme, even though Pinball came out first.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOenACS8qY8

Do you guys know of other similar rearrangements? I will be glad to upload them :)

Re: Core game music in spin-offs

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2015-09-02 21:56:45
Bulbapedias list of the various recycled music in Pokémon Pinball says that the name entry music was the basis for Soootpolis Citys theme, but to me it sounds like both of them are based on the ending theme from Gold and Silver.

Of course, the Pokémon Stadium games, Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire, and Pokémon Box Ruby & Sapphire have soundtracks entirely based on the respective main series games, as does the Battle Mode in Pokémon Colosseum and XD. In Story Mode, Colosseum and XD use the main series Pokémon Center and evolution themes, but just the other day (while playing with Ruby and Sapphires sound test) I noticed a more subtle reference: their news broadcast theme resembles Gabby & Tys encounter theme.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2015-09-03 09:23:45
If you mean the theme labelled "Interviewers", that's not Gabby and Ty's encounter theme, but instead is the theme when you watch the interview on TV IIRC.

I don't play the spin-off games, but if you're talking about reusing music, the Printer theme from Yellow is used for the Pokewalker in HGSS.

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2015-09-03 12:29:47

If you mean the theme labelled "Interviewers", that's not Gabby and Ty's encounter theme, but instead is the theme when you watch the interview on TV IIRC.

Its both.

Date: 2015-09-03 14:21:22

Bulbapedias list of the various recycled music in Pokémon Pinball says that the name entry music was the basis for Soootpolis Citys theme, but to me it sounds like both of them are based on the ending theme from Gold and Silver.

Of course, the Pokémon Stadium games, Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire, and Pokémon Box Ruby & Sapphire have soundtracks entirely based on the respective main series games, as does the Battle Mode in Pokémon Colosseum and XD. In Story Mode, Colosseum and XD use the main series Pokémon Center and evolution themes, but just the other day (while playing with Ruby and Sapphires sound test) I noticed a more subtle reference: their news broadcast theme resembles Gabby & Tys encounter theme.

Thanks for the information :) As to the Blue Field theme, it sounds like Ecruteak's and Cianwood City's theme to me. The name entry theme, on the other hand, doesn't strike me as Sootopolis City's either. If you want, here are the Game Boy Sound System files for Pinball and Crystal (http://www.zophar.net/music/gbs/pokemon-crystal-[pocket-monsters-crystal].html).

Date: 2015-09-16 09:20:06
Although not directly related, the themes of the Pokémon Leagues in Kanto and Unova are rearranged from MOTHER's Mt. Itoi theme.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61YTqitYRc

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2015-09-17 07:20:40

Although not directly related, the themes of the Pokémon Leagues in Kanto and Unova are rearranged from MOTHER's Mt. Itoi theme.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61YTqitYRc[/youtube]

I think that one's a bit of a stretch. The harmony is similar but not identical and the main melody is completely different.

Date: 2015-09-17 09:07:49

I think that one's a bit of a stretch. The harmony is similar but not identical and the main melody is completely different.

Well, it is rather common for people to note that Indigo Plateau's theme originates in Mt. Itoi's and I can see why (there are some similarities and the same company is involved). The video at least serves as a side-by-side comparison of the themes and puts rest to any doubts.