Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Missing announcer phrases in Pokemon Stadium (Int.) - Page 1

Missing announcer phrases in Pokemon Stadium (Int.)

Posted by: Crystalame
Date: 2015-09-09 07:38:54
I don't believe this is a glitch, so I'm posting this in the general Pokemon Discussion section instead. If it turns out it is a glitch, feel free to move it.

_________

So for some reason in this particular version of Pokemon Stadium (the International version, NTSC to be specific) I've been playing, I've noticed two things:

1. Jynx is black instead of purple. I believe I already read somewhere that this is normal for older releases of the game, but the most notable thing is…

2. The announcer is missing at least two phrases. I noticed it immediately because one of them was always really satisfying to hear, and… he never says it in the version of the game I'm playing. In the cartridge I had a long time ago, he did.

The two phrases I'm referring to are "Taken down on the word go!" and "There's been major action already!".

I'mma cite Werster's newly-uploaded Pokemon Stadium speedrun since it's what reminded me. You can hear both of the mentioned phrases at 3:03 to 3:13 or so. There may actually be more as well, but these two are the ones I recognized immediately being missing. Glad there's a video handy, because when I first realized they were missing, I thought I was just going insane or something.

I've never heard anything about this, which is why I'm so curious. It seems to funny to just add phrases in later copies (? I'm assuming later since Jynx's design was changed) of the game. Just for more variety, I guess…?

Re: Missing announcer phrases in Pokemon Stadium (Int.)

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-09-09 09:39:41
According to DAT-O-MATIC, there are three revisions of the American version (1, 2, 3) and two of the English European version (1, 2). That might explain the differences you're noticing.