Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Swift (Speed Star) in Japanese 1st Gen - Page 2

Re: Swift (Speed Star) in Japanese 1st Gen

Posted by: froggy25
Date: 2016-07-19 13:36:38
I haven't worked at all on the Japanese Pokémon Stadium yet, I'll have to take a look at this once I finally submit an initial commit to pokestadium on github ::)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-07-19 14:05:16

I haven't worked at all on the Japanese Pokémon Stadium yet, I'll have to take a look at this once I finally submit an initial commit to pokestadium on github ::)

All right, thanks. :) Sorry if I sounded rude asking in any way.

Date: 2016-07-19 14:41:16
Not at all !

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-07-19 22:16:57
Can we just say "Swift is broken" and move on? This is ridiculous. 17 replies to a thread about a broken Gen 1 move? That's a lotof chatter about an unsurprising development. Seriously. I'd expect this for, say, a newly-discovered glitch, but about something we knew about since this place began? MAYBE 6 replies MAXIMUM.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-20 07:28:13
You don't know how much reverse-engineering games can be fun. Also, the better we understand glitches, the better it is.
But yeah, I understand why this tread being so active can annoy you… but heh, just bump (constructively) the treads you'd like to come back to life, and it's all gonna go better !

Date: 2016-07-20 09:16:10

Can we just say "Swift is broken" and move on? This is ridiculous. 17 replies to a thread about a broken Gen 1 move? That's a lotof chatter about an unsurprising development. Seriously. I'd expect this for, say, a newly-discovered glitch, but about something we knew about since this place began? MAYBE 6 replies MAXIMUM.

Just don't post and gtfo.

Posted by: IceFlame
Date: 2016-07-23 16:46:17
Torchickens, thanks for testing, and nice video!

It was actually the red versions that I analyzed the code: English Red (PokeRed annotated disassembly) compared with Aka (Rev A).
After that, I tested with Yellow, mostly for the convenience of using my own saved games. If the results had turned out different from my Red-based predictions, I would have tested Red too.

The other moves described as "highly accurate" in Stadium are fair enough, but to write that for a 85% move must be a mistake.

how
how does one bug an effect to only happen when your foe has a substitute

placing one line of code before another.

Pretty much. This seems to be what it's doing in the code I linked earlier:

#Japanese
if target has a sub:
    load the move effect
    if it's the Swift Effect:
        the move hits
    if it's the Drain HP Effect:
        the move misses
    if it's the Dream Eater Effect:
        the move misses

#English
load the move effect
if it's the Swift Effect:
    the move hits
if target has a sub:
    #the sub checking routine overwrites the move effect we loaded earlier
    if it's the Drain HP Effect:
        #this cannot happen
        the move misses
    if it's the Dream Eater Effect:
        #this cannot happen
        the move misses

I reckon the intention was to have drain moves miss against subs, and Swift always hit. That's what happens in 2nd Gen. But in Japanese 1st Gen, they seem to have put the Swift check below the sub check by accident. And in English 1st Gen, they tried to fix that by moving the Swift check above the sub check, but didn't notice they needed to load the move effect again, so drain moves can hit subs in the English versions.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-07-23 17:17:28
Pleasure. :) Thank you and thanks for the extra details on how the code works.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-09-20 09:17:34

I reckon the intention was to have drain moves miss against subs, and Swift always hit. That's what happens in 2nd Gen. But in Japanese 1st Gen, they seem to have put the Swift check below the sub check by accident. And in English 1st Gen, they tried to fix that by moving the Swift check above the sub check, but didn't notice they needed to load the move effect again, so drain moves can hit subs in the English versions.

Sometimes trying to fix a bug leads to more bugs, hehe :P

Thank you for your excellent research, IceFlame :)