Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Highest possible DV values for Gen 1 games - Page 1

Highest possible DV values for Gen 1 games

Posted by: hashtag
Date: 2016-07-08 22:27:43
Hi, the TL,dR of this thread is going to be that i am trying to figure out what the best DV spreads each pokemon in gen 1 pokemon games can possibly achieve without glitches. anyways here is a bunch of words.

Hello i am from smogon, where it has recently come to our attention that on RBY carts, many pokemon cannot have perfect DV spreads, and although i don't know if this is ever going to be implemented on our Sim, I think it is important to identify exactly what it is that would be changed. So i am asking here because i know that people in this community are very knowledgeable about the inner workings of these games and i hope someone can help give some insight into this issue.

What we are working with right now is this article describing why it happens (http://wiki.pokemonspeedruns.com/index.php?title=Pok%C3%A9mon_Red/Blue_Wild_DVs)and this list of possible values for a patch of grass with "25 encounter rate" (http://pastebin.com/iBT64Pkq) This particular table is important for speedrunners who are trying to get a high stat nidoran. However this is only one route and as far as i know there isn't a database i can find that details what the encounter rates are for different routes.

we know for a fact that pokemon like gastly and geodude are only found in caves, and the encounter rates in these places is much lower, so there should be a smaller list of possible DV spreads, but I don't know where to find or how to generate such a list, and we don't even know how different routes' encounter rates compare to each other. basically we are in the dark about a lot here. some questions on my mind are:

Do mons encountered via fishing have a chance for a perfect spread, is there a different table for them?

Do mons acquired through in-game trades take the DV spread of the mon you traded, do they generate their own spreads?

Does Yellow version use the same or different tables from Red/Blue?

What about different languages?

Thanks! i know that this is kind of tall ask but i appreciate anyone who has any insight on even a part of this.

Re: Highest possible DV values for Gen 1 games

Posted by: suloku
Date: 2016-07-15 01:57:43
This is very interesting. Today I've actually wondered how Gen 1 and 2 randomness works.

EDIT: removed my previous dumb post made before actually reading the full information.

About the in-game trade, it would be simple to test: play a while, make some wild battles and save before trading in emulator and make a savestate. Trade the pokemon and check the DVs. Then load the savestate and shutdowon emulator and start over, and trade again and check the DVs. If there's some random number generator involved that should produce different DVs.

I wonder how PRNG works in GSC… I'm curious to see if the RNG algorythm was used for the distribution machines at PNYC (or the celebi tour for example). These had random DVs (shiny locked apparently, which might make it more difficult…).

Maybe the ID# was used as seed? There's a savegame with many celebis (around 12) from those machines, and some are from the same machine and very close to each other (in fact there are 2 that are sequential). How cool would it be to find the algorythm used  and essentially be able to code a Celebi machine? I guess I'm dreaming too high though, but maybe they really did use the same algorythm as in GSC. And now I'm wondering about the red gyarados. If the attack is random in GSC, that would mean the RNG function is in the game, running until it hits a shiny DV combination, which might have been how these machines worked… for shiny lock may be the same but just skipping shiny DV combinations…