Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

I figured out the cause of my dead Red cart. - Page 1

I figured out the cause of my dead Red cart.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-08-10 05:12:57
Turns out the bank switcher is screwed, and only the first 512kb of the ROM can be accessed.

Other carts (Red and Blue) have developed the same issue over time.

Have fun screwing about with it in an emulator, just cut a Red or Blue ROM down to the first 512kb!

Re: I figured out the cause of my dead Red cart.

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-08-10 10:13:17
How do you even fix the bank switcher?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-08-10 10:44:08

Replace the MBC, I guess.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-08-10 22:10:15

Replace the MBC, I guess.

Depends on the reason it stopped. Some just come loose, meaning an impact ("If it stops working, pull the motherboard, take it to somewhere concrete, pick it up six inches and drop it." -Dell) could reseat it and everything goes back to normal. Sometimes they arc and burn the board, which can be fixed by removing the sealant over the pathway it links to and soldering it directly to the inside of the PCB (a short piece of wire can be used if it's not long enough!). Other than that, no idea without holding the cart in my hands.

Posted by: Aldrasio
Date: 2016-08-13 22:00:57
It sounds like a pin on either the MBC or the ROM came loose if it's otherwise working fine. Open your cart up and check either of these connections:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/xCAUPe3h.jpg[/img]

If that's the case, it's easily fixable with a soldering iron.