Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Unused maps in R\S\E\FR\LG - Page 1

Unused maps in R\S\E\FR\LG

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-24 14:32:24
Here I want to discuss about the unused maps in R\S\E\FR\LG.
The most popular: Route 104 demo map was used for the Ruby and Sapphire demo at Pokémon Fiesta 2003.
In Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, these maps have fully functional events, however, the tile\collision data was removed.
The flower shop was, however, untouched.
In Emerald, i used AdvanceMap to make a house on water in Petalburg, then redirected it to bank 27 map 0, what's there you ask? Purely NOTHING.
Unlike in R\S, the event data was removed for both the main route, and the flower shop. Collision and tile data for the shop still exist and are fully functional.
Both play the music they were supposed to play: "0191 Route Theme 5" according to AdvanceMap. In Emerald, both act (partially) as a indoor location: Bike cannot be used.
In Emerald, there's also a few empty maps using the Saffron City track from G\S\C (used to test the soundfont). They have nothing programmed, no header, just music.
Also in Emerald there are also two unused contest maps, a contest hall (from R\S), and a unused contest stage map with gray instead of the condition color (a smaller variant is used for multiplayer contests), LOTS of empty maps with nothing, and dimensions of 1 by 1 using a out of place border tile, and a unused copy of the Mirage Island map. All have no music, use Littleroot's Town header, play no music and have no event data.

There's also a weird map, with a "invalid pointer to map footer". Weird.

And there's a eventless Groudon's Cave of Origin room. It's using same data as other unused maps, and Unused Terra Cave's Groudon room.

There's also a variant of Sootoopolis City during the Groudon vs Kyogre event, but with no data other than tile data, a empty map with no data, but using a glitched tileset.
There's also a few unused maps corresponding to the Battle Pyramid, all have no header, but valid Fight Type data, they're probably chunks of the pyramid/copies of the highest room, a unused variant of Route 111 without any event data, unused Sky Pillar maps (before Rayquaza's return) and a unused house.

Research on FR\LG, soon.

Re: Unused maps in R\S\E\FR\LG

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2016-09-24 20:10:58
Surely there must be a means of accessing these maps without hacking via corruption? :)

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-24 23:10:21
ACE list:
Gen 1: 8F/ws m/7eme whateverIdon'tgiveafuck
Gen 2: Coin Case (US only)
Gen 3: That invalid battle background that executes RAM that somebody found (Torchickens? TheZZAZZGlitch?)
Gen 4: One or another glitch ability (I think it was "Great Ball", but I'm not sure)
Gen 5: Unknown
Gen 6: 3DS Browser exploit (so "Unknown" for now)

Choose your weapon and DOMINATE Game Freak.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-25 04:10:55

Surely there must be a means of accessing these maps without hacking via corruption? :)

I think you can't access ones with a header of LITTLEROOT TOWN and no music without ACE, because their map ID's nor map banks don't show, but hey, maybe you can with a glitch animation (the one shown in one of the little older TheZZAZZGlitch's videos), just like he warped to the Birth Island.
I might investegate R\S\FR\LG later today (it's 11 AM for me right now).

EDIT:Ok here's Fire Red.
Between Blue\Gary's house and Oak's lab, there's a map that has Pallet Town's header, a corrupt tileset, and no events, it has, however movement data, and two PC's, possibly your\rival's room from R\S\E? I don't think so.
Between a house with a header of "WATER PATH" and Celadon Gym, there's a map with again, a corrupt tileset. Possibly a early design for a Pokémon Center?
Then there's a Pokémon Center from R\S\E (also, corrupt tileset), two similar unknown houses (from R\S\E probably), two invalid maps (with invalid pointers, A-Map hates that), another "Invalid pointer to map footer." map, over ten more non-existing maps, three small buildings, a building which looks like the cycling road entrance from R\S\E but a little bigger, Copies of the Cable Club rooms, R\S\E Safari Zone maps, another house, The Battle Tower from R\S, SS. Tidal maps, a few indoor area's i can't recognize, The HoF room from R\S\E, a house with a door possibly?, a few more small rooms, a few medium rooms, the incomplete and unused Sevii Islands, a copy of the Union Room, a unused house (the one on Seven Island), Copies of the Celadon Restaurant and Celadon Hotel, Two unused Seafoam Island maps, (between the Four Island Daycare and the Mt. Ember overworld map), a unused copy of the mini-cave on Three Island (the one with Dunsparce), and a copy of the whole Trainer Tower (two sets of 8 floors without the lobby).

Can anyone investigate Ruby or Sapphire for me? A-Map doesn't like my Ruby rom.