Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Any text dumps of Japanese Gen I games? - Page 1

Any text dumps of Japanese Gen I games?

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2017-04-12 08:17:45
I really need to find a full text dump of any Japanese Gen I Pokemon game (don't ask why ;))

Any attempts of Googling it failed miserably, even when I entered the keywords in Japanese.
I also recall seeing such a text dump at least once in my life, so I'm sure it exists.

Normally I'd just attempt to make my own dump, but my knowledge of Japanese is really limited and I wouldn't really be able to separate the real ingame text from false-positives. If someone already made it, this would save me a lot of work.

The question is: are there any text dumps of Japanese Gen I Pokemon games? And where can I find them?

Re: Any text dumps of Japanese Gen I games?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-04-12 12:32:52

I really need to find a full text dump of any Japanese Gen I Pokemon game (don't ask why ;))

Any attempts of Googling it failed miserably, even when I entered the keywords in Japanese.
I also recall seeing such a text dump at least once in my life, so I'm sure it exists.

Normally I'd just attempt to make my own dump, but my knowledge of Japanese is really limited and I wouldn't really be able to separate the real ingame text from false-positives. If someone already made it, this would save me a lot of work.

The question is: are there any text dumps of Japanese Gen I Pokemon games? And where can I find them?

I'm afraid I don't know, sorry.

I remember creating a Japanese Red/Green text dump which I posted on Skeetendo, but as I remember it wasn't organized and likely had a lot of garbage text in it. The file unfortunately may no longer exist as the link to it became unavailable and I'm not sure if I have a backup, though it's possible somebody else may have downloaded it.

Some of the text can be found on the Japanese Pokémon Red disassembly, and this useful thread but the text added on to the Japanese Pokémon Red disassembly project likely isn't exhaustive, nor is the text on the thread.

There may be a chance a Japanese fan has created a Red/Green text dump, but I'm unsure what term is used in the Japanese community to describe a text dump. Hopefully with a bit of research one like this could be found.

Alternatively I suggest contacting MeseInsanity. He knows Japanese, may be a native speaker and may be able to help you out with a joint text dump project.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-04-12 18:44:30
It's likely that no one has made a full Japanese text dump yet. You can find a list of known dumps in various languages here.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-04-13 02:46:02
Let me guess, you're gonna translate it.
Anyway, I didn't find one on my way.
Also, about Bing Emerald, I don't really have time to do it, so it's just sitting here.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-10 16:03:24
TheZZAZZGlitch, (and anyone else) if you still want one, it appears GlitterBerri posted one on her TCRF user page in 2016. I'm sorry I couldn't find it in the past, and I have archived it for you under the archive.is link below.

Unfortunately the revision at the time of writing has no offset addresses, but possibly some more can be found on the Pokémon Green disassembly if there are any forks (as https://github.com/YamaArashi/pokered-jp seems to be broken), or if that fails the TBL files in this thread as well as this thread.

http://archive.is/xVtnK
https://tcrf.net/User:GlitterBerri/Pok%C3%A9mon_Green_Script

I hope this can be useful! :)