Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

4 questions about Pokérus mechanics - Page 1

4 questions about Pokérus mechanics

Posted by: Mario Rossi
Date: 2017-10-13 10:06:47
Hi, folks! Im currently seeking help from the best Pokémon experts on the Internet. In fact, Im trying to achieve the feat of capturing a Pokémon with Pokérus (in other words, an original Pokérus carrier) in a Ruby cartridge with DEAD BATTERY. According to the pokecrystal disassembly, Pokérus seems to be a flag that is activated on your Pokémon after you battle a wild one, that is not present on the wild Pokémon itself (contrarily to the popular belief), but is only unlocked on your Pokémon after you battle it. That means that if you are lucky enough to catch the wild Pokémon who infected your Pokémon at the end of the battle, youll end up having a normal Pokémon, without Pokérus, with yourself being the only person to know that it was responsible for having spread it to your party. Its obvious that, given these conditions, my feat of capturing an original Pokérus carrier will be impossible to achieve. So, my questions to you are the following:
1) Is my feat achievable? I dont want to lose precious time catching wild Pokémon in groups of 30 (I soft reset when I fill an entire Pokémon box because I have only 50 balls, and my RNG, being my Ruby battery run dry, is broken);
2) In general, how the Pokérus mechanics work in Gen 3 (but also in Gen 2, as it is not very clear yet)? Thats a major obscure point in the Pokémon community that I think it would be worth to research.
3) A strange situation occurred to me in Pokémon Emerald (emulator): I caught a Wurmple with Pokérus (through a Gameshark code) just to observe empirically how the mechanics work in Gen 3, then I put it second in my party behind a Mudkip (no Pokérus). I then battled a Lotad (with codes disabled, this time), which I ended up capturing. I checked my party after the battle and I discovered that Mudkip had contracted Pokérus, but not the newly captured Lotad (in third place in the party), which is weird. In fact, a Pokémon in second place in the party, either spreads the Pokérus, after a battle, to the first AND the third placed Pokémon (even if the Pokémon in third place has been caught in the battle itself), or doesnt spread it at all, and Im sure of this because I observed it empirically. This made me think that Mudkip could have incredibly caught the Pokérus (legitimately) from the Lotad that I had just caught.
This could mean that:
The wild Pokémon which triggers Pokérus in your party is NOT itself a carrier, because Mudkip allegedly contracted it from Lotad, with Lotad itself not being affected;
The Pokérus mechanics in Gen 2 and Gen 3 are different, because in Gen 2 if a Pokémon of your party already has Pokérus, it will be impossible to contract it de novo after a battle from a wild Pokémon, but it will only be spread through your party from the Pokémon that was already affected instead. This would contradict the fact that even if my Wurmple was already affected and in the party, Mudkip still managed to contract Pokérus de novo from the wild Lotad I ended up capturing;
I oversaw something during the observation of what was happening (unlikely).
4) A noob question: I deposited in the PC my Mudkip a few minutes after it contracted Pokérus and I then saved outside the Pokémon Center. I have never withdrew it from the PC, but one evening, though, I put my Mudkip in the party to rapidly beat the game (just for fun) WITHOUT saving, and in the process I passed midnight (I spent 5 hours playing, from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.). Having NOT saved the game (I reset the game a few seconds before Hall of Fame), and being thus again placed outside the Pokémon Center with Mudkip in the PC as the last time I saved the game, does it count as a day has passed for Mudkips Pokérus counter or not?
An answer to these 4 questions will be greatly appreciated. Kind regards and good luck with all of your research!

Re: 4 questions about Pokérus mechanics

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2017-10-14 10:17:15
*bump*

I can't answer your question with 100% certainty, but I do feel like this is worth researching

My guess is that achieving pokerus with a dead battery should still be possible. My reason for saying this is that other RNG events, such as mirage island still work perfectly fine on dead battery carts.

I'll look into this and see if I can't find a better answer.

Date: 2017-10-17 06:05:42
Hi! Thanks for the answer. I expected to receive more of them, from a specialized site like this, though. I even PMed Torchickens (administrator) and Metarkrai (Pokémon expert) to know more about it, but without success. I didn't expect Pokérus mechanics to be such an unknown field to explore, to be honest.

Date: 2017-10-17 06:12:57

Hi! Thanks for the answer. I expected to receive more of them, from a specialized site like this, though. I even PMed Torchickens (administrator) and Metarkrai (Pokémon expert) to know more about it, but without success. I didn't expect Pokérus mechanics to be such an unknown field to explore, to be honest.

No problem.

As to why you're not getting many answers, it's simply that this site is kinda dead. The glitch hunting community is getting smaller and smaller as we speak, sad as it may be.

I haven't had a chance to look further into your question, hopefully I'll look into it sometime today.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-10-17 07:07:51
No, it's not getting smaller and smaller. As strange as it may sound, it's actually growing.

As for Torchickens and Metarkrai, you more or less hit the wrong choices : both of them are currently busy with their lives, and thus not available here.

The actual issue, imo, is a kind of fatigue. We're getting the same questions too often, and… well, every time I see a question on the forums, I feel a kind of laziness.

There's probably also that, though I said the community is a growing, it's growing too slowly for there to be a "replacement" effect, and many are moving on to other domains.

I dunno. The community is certainly not dead, but yeah, less open, I guess.

Date: 2017-10-17 14:35:47
To be sincere, I have not found many informations on the Internet about Pokérus mechanics other than what is written on Bulbapedia, so I don't think it is an inflated argument. To me it is, on the contrary, a very underrated field among the Pokémon researchers.

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2017-10-17 15:08:00

No, it's not getting smaller and smaller. As strange as it may sound, it's actually growing.

''Most Online Today: 6. Most Online Ever: 1,488 (December 01, 2013, 01:09:56 am)''

This place is borderline dead and it's shame because its great learning about Pokemon glitches. But to say this place is growing when it averages 6 people online daily, when at one point this forum had nearly 1500 online, is hilarious. 

Anyway as for the topic, I've never had Pokerus in the generation 3 games, only gen II and it was such long ago that I didn't even know much about it or the best ways to preserve it.

Date: 2017-10-17 15:20:53

''Most Online Today: 6. Most Online Ever: 1,488 (December 01, 2013, 01:09:56 am)''

This place is borderline dead and it's shame because its great learning about Pokemon glitches. But to say this place is growing when it averages 6 people online daily, when at one point this forum had nearly 1500 online, is hilarious. 

Anyway as for the topic, I've never had Pokerus in the generation 3 games, only gen II and it was such long ago that I didn't even know much about it or the best ways to preserve it.

You've got a point there.

Unless we do something  major, like ACE in gen 4, it doesn't seem likely this website's userbase will return.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-10-17 16:53:16
I think due to a glitch "Who's Online" currently only shows one guest online, and everyone is stated to have the same IP (172.18.0.1). So in actuality we probably had more than 6 people online that day.

I feel to say the site is dead is a misconception with new people occasionally posting to ask questions and things like that.

The 1,488 was an outlier as I believe it happened when arbitrary code execution with 8F became popular and usually there are a lot less people online. I'm not sure how many people were online though and a lot of the people who used to go on Glitch City have left.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-10-17 17:49:50

Hi, folks! Im currently seeking help from the best Pokémon experts on the Internet. In fact, Im trying to achieve the feat of capturing a Pokémon with Pokérus (in other words, an original Pokérus carrier) in a Ruby cartridge with DEAD BATTERY. According to the pokecrystal disassembly, Pokérus seems to be a flag that is activated on your Pokémon after you battle a wild one, that is not present on the wild Pokémon itself (contrarily to the popular belief), but is only unlocked on your Pokémon after you battle it. That means that if you are lucky enough to catch the wild Pokémon who infected your Pokémon at the end of the battle, youll end up having a normal Pokémon, without Pokérus, with yourself being the only person to know that it was responsible for having spread it to your party. Its obvious that, given these conditions, my feat of capturing an original Pokérus carrier will be impossible to achieve. So, my questions to you are the following:
1) Is my feat achievable? I dont want to lose precious time catching wild Pokémon in groups of 30 (I soft reset when I fill an entire Pokémon box because I have only 50 balls, and my RNG, being my Ruby battery run dry, is broken);
2) In general, how the Pokérus mechanics work in Gen 3 (but also in Gen 2, as it is not very clear yet)? Thats a major obscure point in the Pokémon community that I think it would be worth to research.
3) A strange situation occurred to me in Pokémon Emerald (emulator): I caught a Wurmple with Pokérus (through a Gameshark code) just to observe empirically how the mechanics work in Gen 3, then I put it second in my party behind a Mudkip (no Pokérus). I then battled a Lotad (with codes disabled, this time), which I ended up capturing. I checked my party after the battle and I discovered that Mudkip had contracted Pokérus, but not the newly captured Lotad (in third place in the party), which is weird. In fact, a Pokémon in second place in the party, either spreads the Pokérus, after a battle, to the first AND the third placed Pokémon (even if the Pokémon in third place has been caught in the battle itself), or doesnt spread it at all, and Im sure of this because I observed it empirically. This made me think that Mudkip could have incredibly caught the Pokérus (legitimately) from the Lotad that I had just caught.
This could mean that:
The wild Pokémon which triggers Pokérus in your party is NOT itself a carrier, because Mudkip allegedly contracted it from Lotad, with Lotad itself not being affected;
The Pokérus mechanics in Gen 2 and Gen 3 are different, because in Gen 2 if a Pokémon of your party already has Pokérus, it will be impossible to contract it de novo after a battle from a wild Pokémon, but it will only be spread through your party from the Pokémon that was already affected instead. This would contradict the fact that even if my Wurmple was already affected and in the party, Mudkip still managed to contract Pokérus de novo from the wild Lotad I ended up capturing;
I oversaw something during the observation of what was happening (unlikely).
4) A noob question: I deposited in the PC my Mudkip a few minutes after it contracted Pokérus and I then saved outside the Pokémon Center. I have never withdrew it from the PC, but one evening, though, I put my Mudkip in the party to rapidly beat the game (just for fun) WITHOUT saving, and in the process I passed midnight (I spent 5 hours playing, from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.). Having NOT saved the game (I reset the game a few seconds before Hall of Fame), and being thus again placed outside the Pokémon Center with Mudkip in the PC as the last time I saved the game, does it count as a day has passed for Mudkips Pokérus counter or not?
An answer to these 4 questions will be greatly appreciated. Kind regards and good luck with all of your research!

Hi. I'm unsure how Pokérus works and not sure of the answers to your questions either, sorry. :(

I got the impression battling a Pokémon only gives a chance (not 100%) of an existing Pokérus spreading, but I don't know for sure. I don't know whether you can get it by catching a Pokémon and how the time works (whether its dependent on the time from the battery for instance) as well.

In Generation II Pokérus is stored in a party Pokémon's data structure. For example address DA46 in Gold/Silver modifies Pokémon 1's Pokérus flag. I'm unsure if there's something to indicate Pokérus on a wild Pokémon though.

Hope you can find the answers to your questions.

Date: 2017-10-17 18:19:41
It's kind of odd how pokerus mechanics haven't been truly documented anywhere. Has gen 3 been disassembled?

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2017-10-17 18:30:33

I think due to a glitch "Who's Online" currently only shows one guest online, and everyone is stated to have the same IP (172.18.0.1). So in actuality we probably had more than 6 people online that day.

I feel to say the site is dead is a misconception with new people occasionally posting to ask questions and things like that.

Yep, it's been broken ever since there were significant server changes.

I don't have enough information to assess the current state of the site but I don't think it's that inactive right now! :)

Has gen 3 been disassembled?

It's getting there, at least.

https://github.com/pret/pokeruby

https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald

There are some early-stage and incomplete projects for a FireRed disassembly as well.

Date: 2017-10-18 07:32:47
I can answer question 4.

Since you left your Mudkip in the PC, Pokerus time doesn't advance anyways, so it shouldn't count towards the remaining time for Pokerus.

EDIT:  Whoops my bad just re-read the question. As it stands, it is unlikely that the pokerus timer can stay the same across save files, and as such it shouldn't count as a day.

Date: 2017-10-19 05:43:10
Thanks anyway, guys!