Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

How different is ultra sun/moon from the original sun/moon? - Page 1

How different is ultra sun/moon from the original sun/moon?

Posted by: shatteredClockworks
Date: 2018-01-09 21:53:45
I got this game for christmas!
Nice, but how much of a difference is it?
It certainly doesn't feel the same.
(no spoilers)

Re: How different is ultra sun/moon from the original sun/moon?

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2018-01-09 22:23:32
Well I  Pre-Ordered them but I haven't played them a lot but from what I've gathered the story is very different. BTW do you own and play either Pokemon Sun or Moon? If you do then you should notice some story differences.
I don't own Sun or Moon yet but I've told my sister about some of the stuff that happens and she said that it was different because she owns Sun and has gotten as far as the second island. Also the Player looks different than in Sun and Moon.

Date: 2018-01-10 10:27:07
Oh ya also there are some new Pokemon as well.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2018-01-10 16:22:37
I haven't played UsUm but I just wanted to say that I fucking love Drampa's Ultra Sun 'Dex entry:

"If a child it has made friends with is bullied, Drampa will find the bully's house and burn it to the ground."

From what I can tell, the Ultra Beasts actually get some lore and there's a slightly improved postgame. Also some content that was never used in the originals because Game Freak are lazy cunts 'cut' has been implemented.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-01-19 07:53:38
The beginning of the game is still as badly paced and handholdy as in the originals, so it doesn't leave most people with a good first impression, because they just play the first island and they're like "Aww balls! This is still kinda mediocre."

And then you get to the third island or so, and honestly it really impressed me. And I thought Sun/Moon were the weakest games in the series, perhaps even more so than Red & Blue in all their unpolished glory.

The post-game rubbed me the wrong way at first because it literally forces it on you when you're just trying to get to the Battle Tree, and there's a segment where you get thrown into a place where you can't even access the menu screen to save the game until you win this battle with some extremely shitty rental Pokemon (which is a new feature apparently that I haven't tried, but it's left me with a bad impression of it from that part). Hey Game Freak, don't do that. I'm still in the middle of it so I guess I'll see. It's challenging! And I like that.

Anyway, I guess you wanted differences and not how good it is, but it really does add some nifty additions to the story, and also some more difficulty. And a few more Pokemon that weren't in Sun & Moon, not just legendaries which it also lets you catch, because Game Freak are edging ever so closer to finally just letting us actually catch them all with no event bullshit or not-in-either-of-these-two-versions bullshit.

It's not as good of a "director's cut" version (this is what the cool kids call the third versions and paired sequels) as maybe Emerald or Black2/White2, but it's something.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-01-19 11:35:46
For me Ultra Sun/Moon seemed a little too similar to Sun/Moon at first for the first few hours, and it was only until later in the game the new features/plot-line started coming in with the exception of the Ultra Recon Squad appearing (but not doing much). This disappointed me a little as I was expecting the game, being pairs to feel more like Black 2/White 2 (which were more different from the start).

I felt similar about the rental part in the post-game, but not as much after learning it was only for a short time, the battle isn't that hard and it doesn't matter if you lose it. I feel they still should have allowed you to save (and/or not sure.. cancel to get out and get your Pokémon back even though that could mess with the plot) though.

Date: 2018-01-20 09:03:24
I don't  all the details your saying about the Battle Tree and stuff due to I only got as far as the first battle with the Ultra Recon Squad in Ultra Sun.
I've been favoring Ultra Sun more than Ultra  Moon.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2018-01-22 06:53:13
Oh and the UBs are no longer shiny locked…
And the old ones are now infinite…
And there's a few new cool minigame sorta things…