Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Should certain Generations be part of the same Generation? - Page 1

Should certain Generations be part of the same Generation?

Posted by: Duelist Of Roses
Date: 2018-06-29 18:55:47
The remakes of Pokemon games are considered different generations than the original. For example, Gold and Silver are Gen 2 while Heartgold and Soulsilver are gen 4. This makes no sense to me since they take place in the same region, have nearly the same story-line, have the same characters, and have the same locations. Of course the remakes include newer graphics and require newer platforms. However, they are still nearly the same. It isn't like Heartgold and Soulsilver take place in the Sinnia region! Gold and Silver should stay Gen 2 even though Sinnoh is part of Kanto since they are different regions. Black and White are still the same generation as Black and White 2. Also, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are the same generation as X and Y for some reason. I guess which generation it is could depend on the time it was released, but why isn't Fire Red and Leaf Green Gen 2 then? Maybe it is the platform, but HG/SS and B/W are both for the DSi despite being different generations. So, I am confused.

Re: Should certain Generations be part of the same Generation?

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-29 19:12:28
Different generations are mostly classed by release period, available Pokémon (Gen 3 and 4 Pokémon aren't available in the GBC titles), available moves, mechanics, etc.
That's the point of a remake: same game, but better.

I would classify a Generation as a set of games that can communicate together bidirectionally (thus Gen 3 -> 4 doesn't count since you can only import mons from Gen 3), but Gen 2's Time Capsule screws the definition. You can't group by engine, either, since they lazily re-used XYORAS's engine for SMUSUM… :^) (and apparently the Let's Go games WHOOPS DID I TRASHTALK AGAIN)

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-06-29 21:59:13
I tried to come up with a specific definition based on game engines and new content that couldn't be interpreted by the games of the previous generation, but I got lost trying to word it out. While there are plenty of correlations between which technology is used and the limits of said technology as time passes between each generation, the least shaky definition seems to me to be Bulbapedia's:
A generation is a grouping of the Pokémon games that separates them based on the Pokémon they include. In each generation, a new set of Pokémon, moves, and Abilities that did not exist in the previous generation are released.

This would clear up any cofusion regarding how the remakes ought to be classified.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-06-30 04:07:12
Yup. As far as this thead's topic is concerned, what basically everyone agrees about is that although they're remakes, you can't put the original and the remade games in the same basket.