Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Obscure Pokémon Yellow box art/cartridge thunder artwork change? - Page 1

Obscure Pokémon Yellow box art/cartridge thunder artwork change?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-08-08 12:37:06
I recently bought an Italian version of Pokémon Yellow for testing glitch Pokémon in that version and noticed some minor differences between the US version for both the box art and Game Pak.

While I don't have the boxes, this is apparently what the Italian and US box arts look like:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/2yKbTLl.jpg[/img]

It seems like instead of US Yellow's 'yellow mist' background, the Italian version features more clearly a bolt of electricity.

Additionally "Special Pikachu Edition" was removed from the Italian Game Pak. On the Italian Game Pak, the Nintendo logo was moved to the left, the rating is not included on the Game Pak, and it also features the Original Nintendo Seal of Quality:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/vOT0VZr.jpg[/img]

Thoughts?
Are there any other versions of Pokémon Yellow with changes like these?

Re: Obscure Pokémon Yellow box art/cartridge thunder artwork change?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-08-08 15:44:00
Good find! I'm surprised this went unnoticed for this long. Maybe TCRF would like this?

Date: 2018-08-08 16:54:37
Thanks! Possibly, but as it isn't an in-game revision difference I'm unsure.

Yeah, I thought my cartridge was a bootleg at first but it seems to be real.

Posted by: hpoké_coloradohugge
Date: 2018-08-09 06:48:08
That's how all European PAL Pokémon Yellows look like, it's just a different box art/lable design from the American one. So there's nothing special about this.

Regarding the rating and the seal of quality:
This is just how all gameboy cartridges looks like here in europe, we never had ESRB rating system in europe and this was released before ratings was used for games in europe.

The seal of quality is also always feautured on the box and cartridge lable of european Gameboy games, and it's different from the American seal (being a circle rather than a oval)

——–
So yeah, this isn't obscure, it's just how pokémon and gameboy games in general looks like for us in PAL regions.

Date: 2018-08-09 08:28:41
Ah thanks!

Yes, I actually live in European country too (although the UK are in the process of leaving the EU), but the Pokémon Yellow I bought was a USA version so I hadn't noticed this before.

Yeah. The only thing I was surprised about really was the different background (not the no ESRB rating and the seal of quality, position of Nintendo logo as that's normal/an ordinary change).

Date: 2018-08-09 09:13:14
Ah i see. =)

Yeah, the background is indeed different and i can't decide if i like the blur one or the more defined thunder bold design more haha.

But yeah, i think my confusion was when i read "i thought it was a bootleg first" just because it didn't follow the ntsc North Ameeican standards of the cartridge layout. And i though to myself, -"it shouldn't have the same layout or design since it's a PAL released one".
So I think I simply missunderstod that part. =)

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-08-10 18:05:05
Just checked and my cartridge has the USA artwork. Boo. That's no fun.

Hopefully people will stop saying Australia counts as Europe for video game purposes.

Date: 2018-08-10 20:50:44
Can you take a picture of it and post it please? =)