Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Discussion

Style: forums are too wide - Page 1

Style: forums are too wide

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2011-11-23 23:39:50
With both the navigation sidebar and forum profiles on the left, the main message window is really narrow and really annoying. It would be better to have forum profiles above posts.

Re: Style: forums are too wide

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2011-11-24 01:41:41
I don't exactly think having the profiles above the posts are a good idea, but I like the idea of making the navigation sidebar retractable horizontally and having the forums expand.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2011-11-24 03:27:38
I think with profiles above it would be very hard for my brain to parse posts from the page, as it is I know exactly where the posts are and they still have ~60% of the screen to themselves (which I find is enough). That is, in my opinion.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2011-11-24 07:21:05
1920x1080; board looks fine to me.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2011-11-24 09:43:17

It is possible that people might be using smaller screens, or perhaps they might not maximize their browser window.

On a more suggestiony note, perhaps changing the profile location from side to top when the client is detected as having a small (eg 1024 or less pixels wide) screen resolution is a good idea. It wouldn't help people with browser windows that take up half of a perfectly large screen, but it would help people with netbooks and old monitors and stuff.

Or just have an option in the user settings, now that I think of it only after typing out that last paragraph. Derp.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2011-11-25 02:08:38

It is possible that people might be using smaller screens, or perhaps they might not maximize their browser window.

On a more suggestiony note, perhaps changing the profile location from side to top when the client is detected as having a small (eg 1024 or less pixels wide) screen resolution is a good idea. It wouldn't help people with browser windows that take up half of a perfectly large screen, but it would help people with netbooks and old monitors and stuff.

Or just have an option in the user settings, now that I think of it only after typing out that last paragraph. Derp.

I agree with this so everyones happy.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2011-11-25 21:10:38
Detecting the resolution requires JavaScript, though, and because this is a relatively techie site, it's possible many visitors don't even have it enabled, or are even using a browser that's incapable of JavaScript.

I'm open to moving the profile info to the top, though, and I'm also open to the idea of making the navigation collapsible.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2011-11-25 23:15:30
I'd want to see how moving the profiles to the top would appear before making any changes.