Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Discussion

Completely ridiculous captcha - Page 1

Completely ridiculous captcha

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2012-12-15 00:47:49
From the search page:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/gHvTt.png[/img]

Ive been here for years and I dont even know these

The links dont even go to useful pages

This isnt even for posting, this is for search

Re: Completely ridiculous captcha

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2012-12-15 13:18:30
I turned it off for the search page. A lot of forums do present a captcha on that page so I'm guessing there's some valid reason to, but I'm not sure it's warranted for our case.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-12-16 11:32:57
The answers:

Special

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-12-16 13:30:02
I should really streamline that captcha.  The questions were made because spambots were getting around the old ones and accounts were popping up every 15 minutes.

Edit: I've added links to the captcha questions, HOWEVER, there seems to be a bug with the wiki where I can not review or approve edits to pages due to an invalid/timed out session error.  I tried relogging and going back to approve but the same thing happened.  I need to approve an edit I made so that the article more clearly states the one of the questions on the captcha.

"There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again."

Date: 2012-12-16 19:46:08

I should really streamline that captcha.  The questions were made because spambots were getting around the old ones and accounts were popping up every 15 minutes.

Ive had success with a combination of StopForumSpam and reCAPTCHA.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2012-12-22 16:24:05

Edit: I've added links to the captcha questions, HOWEVER, there seems to be a bug with the wiki where I can not review or approve edits to pages due to an invalid/timed out session error.  I tried relogging and going back to approve but the same thing happened.  I need to approve an edit I made so that the article more clearly states the one of the questions on the captcha.

"There seems to be a problem with your login session; this action has been canceled as a precaution against session hijacking. Go back to the previous page, reload that page and then try again."

That's weird, I'm able to do it just fine

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-12-23 18:22:25

That's weird, I'm able to do it just fine

Rechecked, still can't do it.  I'll flush my cookies and cache and try again.

Posted by: Don Watermeleon
Date: 2012-12-23 20:36:43
I've never been able to wrap my head around why captchas always have to be in such incomprehensible, almost wingding-like text. Why does each letter have to be slanted in a different direction and random pixels added for the sole purpose, I can fathom, of obscuring the text further? It's not like bots "see" text in the same sense as we do with our eyes. Couldn't captchas just be cropped pictures of a word written neatly with Times New Roman font but since it's a picture the bot wouldn't be able to simply copypasta the text? The only benefit I see of making captchas with lines through them and each individual letter sized disproportionately is confounding an actual human user.

Ha forgive the rant though, captchas just engender this primal bitterness in me. Honestly it's the worst thing on the Internet. I barely even post on 4chan anymore.

Date: 2012-12-23 22:10:14

I've never been able to wrap my head around why captchas always have to be in such incomprehensible, almost wingding-like text. Why does each letter have to be slanted in a different direction and random pixels added for the sole purpose, I can fathom, of obscuring the text further? It's not like bots "see" text in the same sense as we do with our eyes.

Actually, advanced bots do. Thats why CAPTCHAs keep getting harder for humans to solvethe bots keep getting better at understanding them.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2012-12-23 22:21:18
I don't even bother with CAPTCHAs anymore as I strongly suspect humans are paid to solve CAPTCHAs now.

Date: 2012-12-23 22:47:15

I don't even bother with CAPTCHAs anymore as I strongly suspect humans are paid to solve CAPTCHAs now.

Yes, that also happens. But its (currently) rare enough that having a CAPTCHA does help.

Date: 2012-12-24 00:56:51
[img]http://i.imgur.com/oXLLG.png[/img]