Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Discussion

Removing ICQ, MSN, AIM, YIM, other obsolete chat services from profiles - Page 1

Removing ICQ, MSN, AIM, YIM, other obsolete chat services from profiles

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2016-03-31 13:28:05
Title is self-explanatory, a lot or all of the ones listed seem to be obsolete and serve no purpose on profiles anymore.

Re: Removing ICQ, MSN, AIM, YIM, other obsolete chat services from profiles

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2016-03-31 14:20:41
These services, despite declining usage, are still active. I see no reason to remove them from profiles for any user who still uses these services.

Posted by: Missingnoguy55
Date: 2016-03-31 17:04:44

These services, despite declining usage, are still active. I see no reason to remove them from profiles for any user who still uses these services.
I never checked. Thanks for the heads up though, my bad.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-04-01 05:51:12

MSN Messenger/Windows Live Messenger, Windows Messenger (a more basic MSN Messenger included with Windows XP which was also available to Windows 2000 users), and Microsoft Messenger for Mac are no longer operational. While Microsoft-owned Skype dropped the old Skype protocol in favor of an updated version of the Microsoft Notification Protocol (MSNP) that was used by the Microsoft Messenger service to power the old clients, they're still different services.

At least the MSN Messenger service in profiles should be removed as it no longer works. I previously pointed this out. Over a year later, the difference is that clicking on a link from a profile returns an SSL/TLS certificate error, which after being accepted temporarily, still leads the user to OneDrive with an "item not found" error:

This item might not exist or is no longer available

This item might have been deleted, expired, or you might not have permission to view it. Contact the owner of this item for more information.

I've also tested the ICQ and Yahoo Messenger service links in Zowayix's profile but they are dead ends now. The AIM link seems to be a protocol redirect URL to the client so I don't know if it works.

For the most part, the service links in profiles are now useless.