Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Discussion

Pokémon Glitch Discussion - Page 1

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-25 20:48:48
I LEAVE FOR A DAY AND THERE'S 50 FRIGGIN' CHILD BOARDS

C'mon, guys! Really? There needs to be better structure in the Pokémon Glitch Discussion. I can propose a better structure, something like the following:
(Don't hate me for getting the systems wrong, I don't have them memorized…)

\GB/C Generations
\\Gen 1
\\Gen 2
\GBA Generations
\\Gen 3
\\Gen 4
\DS Generations
\\Gen 5
\3DS Generations
\\Gen 6
\Non-Core Games

The number of "\"s indicate the depth of the child board. This also allows for per-system topics, so a topic about, for example, Generations 1 AND 2 can be discussed without having confusion on where it goes, and removing the potential for mods moving topics like the above example multiple times.
So, what do you think? Do you think this is useful or does this make me look like a "stupid nosy asshole?"

Re: Pokémon Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-26 00:28:14
Something similar has been already done. I think adding more child board is stupid right now.

Date: 2016-09-26 06:02:41

Something similar has been already done.
I'm trying to SORT them. Sorting multiple child boards into sections to mkke it easier for people is NOT what happened.
Basically, using my example in the first post, the "GB/C Generations" child board would hold Gens 1 and 2, so it'd be 1 board on the "Pokemon Discussion" page.

Posted by: Max
Date: 2016-09-26 20:20:33
The problem with categories (what you call sections) is that they aren't actually boards and cannot hold topics. For example on the main forum page, "Links" is the category of two top-level boards (in this example the boards are resolve to redirects).

I haven't been on these forums long, so I could not say whether it is more efficient to create child boards by generation or by console. I suggested generations because I imagined a generic forum reader, who has come with the intent of learning about glitches for the specific game in their hand / emulator. A child board for each individual game would be impractical as many glitches are shared between games of the same generation.

The current organization by Generation does have the weakness for topics that span more than one generation.

In most games inter-generation compatibility is one-way, so any such exploits of that feature can go into the newer generation's board. I also recognize that generations I & II have a special case of backwards- and forwards-compatability. I would not be averse to this kind of setup:
\Generations I & II
\\Generation I
\\Generation II
\Generation III

It may also be possible for a single child board to have more than one parent board, like this:
Generation I
\Time Capsule Exploits
Generation II
\Time Capsule Exploits

Date: 2016-09-26 21:03:36

In most games inter-generation compatibility is one-way, so any such exploits of that feature can go into the newer generation's board. I also recognize that generations I & II have a special case of backwards- and forwards-compatability. I would not be averse to this kind of setup:
\Generations I & II
\\Generation I
\\Generation II
\Generation III

It may also be possible for a single child board to have more than one parent board, like this:
Generation I
\Time Capsule Exploits
Generation II
\Time Capsule Exploits

…GG. There it is. Better suggestion right here. [size=8pt]I guess I am becoming fruity…[/size]

Posted by: Max
Date: 2016-09-28 07:34:00
I guess I am becoming fruity…

Not at all. I always appreciate relevant discussion and debate. In my opinion that is the purpose of the forums.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-11-21 12:32:58
How about this?

\Classic core games
\Modern core games
\Other games

Classic = Game Boy (Color) + Nintendo 64
Modern = Game Boy Advance + GameCube, DS + Wii, 3DS + Wii U, etc.
Other = all spin-offs

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2016-11-21 13:09:09
This is actually something I've been wanting to work on
and get implemented once I have the power to do so (pending..).

You guys have some pretty good ideas so I'll take these into
consideration and make an effort to get the most efficient and organized
setup possible.