Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Discussion

The reasons why I stepped down - Page 1

The reasons why I stepped down

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-02-26 01:28:44
There were two main reasons:

1. I think I may have felt overwhelmed a little with stress (and sometimes I get very shy on Discord, as of recent YouTube too as I get an exponential number of comments now - I used to get on top of them all until it reached 99+ and I stopped replying. For this reason I have regrets like (thoughts about myself): "she ignores comments". This has correlated with me being a little apathetic at times and having less enthusiasm for taking on an editorial role.
->On hindsight, now I seem to feel clearer I wonder if I should just be a global moderator/staff here. I'm worried though as I left with short notice and Photon-Phoenix isn't as active as he used to either, and Abwayax stepped down too. I'm unsure of how Photon-Phoenix feels or his circumstances, but I'm worried this site is in risk of not having a head admin.

2. The banning of Sherkel and Sasara, the disturbances they caused in the community (but also I feel to scapegoat is wrong, I welcome people but not actions that make people feel unsafe), and claims; as well as this separate situation. This left me feel unsafe and not wanting to take the role of head admin any longer.

(3. I'm not as good with glitches as I used to be; in combination with apathy and decision to step down from emulation to be safe, data-mining now takes a lot more time. Additionally, I posted a YouTube video for a short while that I wouldn't be doing arbitrary code execution, but removed it later. Fortunately there is a way to datamine without using ROM hacks with my limited programming knowledge and the existing memory editor GUI arbitrary code execution programs, which I got working earlier. From what happened with the historical Game Genie case, reverse engineering/playaround(?) is at least a grey area; though Nintendo have took action against emulation/unauthorised copies moreso now, and I wanted to step down from that as well. Additionally lots of people want a Pokémon Bank Celebi, which still leaves me unsure what to do, as (if from Nintendo's terms of use against cheating online) people can get banned for that; maybe tell them how to do it but warn them Nintendo don't like it (and I personally don't like it either and release my hackmons).

Re: The reasons why I stepped down

Posted by: Cryo
Date: 2020-02-27 08:13:38
Heh, I can definitely empathize with #1 – answering the same question(s) over and over on YT can get grating. Even if you have the answer to a question in a pinned comment, in the description, and even in the video itself, people are still going to ask the same questions that have already been answered right in front of them.

I know they don't do that kind of thing on purpose at all, and it's just a matter of not having looked everywhere prior to posting (hell, I did the same thing a few times in the past), but I know how much it can wear you down to the point where you stop checking comments altogether, because that's happened to me twice so far between both of my YT accounts. =')

Also, I apologize for the negative attention gained from the whole Wack0 situation; I never meant for that to attract any negative attention towards GCL, but I can totally understand how it'd look bad on GCL for harboring a person who illegally intruded into a network (Wack0) and a person who leaked data from that intrusion (me), and I can only imagine how much of a nightmare I/we caused staff as a result. "orz

It sucks to hear that the Wack0 thing was a factor in being a major stressor for ya, and especially a factor in making you feel unsafe. I wholly apologize for the negative vibes I/we brought upon y'all, but I'm deffo glad you're sticking around regardless of position instead of bouncing for good! ^^

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2020-02-27 14:11:58
I can definitely understand #1, I've had the same thing happen to me but in the Sonic community. It wasn't on Youtube, but on another forum I frequently lurk at. I have issues responding to messages in a timely fashion because of my social anxiety. Whenever I do see I got a message I just tell myself that I will respond later and I forget about it. :S It's good to give yourself a break for a bit, it's got to be overwhelming having a very popular Youtube channel. I'm sorry to hear that recent events also stressed you out. :( I'm sure if you wanted to be a Global Moderator, Photon-Phoenix wouldn't mind promoting you. However, it might be best to just be a "Veteran Contributor" for a bit, to help you relax. I don't know what the future has in store for GCL, but I really hope it stays online for years to come.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-02-27 16:22:04

I can definitely understand #1, I've had the same thing happen to me but in the Sonic community. It wasn't on Youtube, but on another forum I frequently lurk at. I have issues responding to messages in a timely fashion because of my social anxiety. Whenever I do see I got a message I just tell myself that I will respond later and I forget about it. :S It's good to give yourself a break for a bit, it's got to be overwhelming having a very popular Youtube channel. I'm sorry to hear that recent events also stressed you out. :( I'm sure if you wanted to be a Global Moderator, Photon-Phoenix wouldn't mind promoting you. However, it might be best to just be a "Veteran Contributor" for a bit, to help you relax. I don't know what the future has in store for GCL, but I really hope it stays online for years to come.

Bless :( Well you're not alone, I've been there before. <3

Heh, I can definitely empathize with #1 – answering the same question(s) over and over on YT can get grating. Even if you have the answer to a question in a pinned comment, in the description, and even in the video itself, people are still going to ask the same questions that have already been answered right in front of them.

I know they don't do that kind of thing on purpose at all, and it's just a matter of not having looked everywhere prior to posting (hell, I did the same thing a few times in the past), but I know how much it can wear you down to the point where you stop checking comments altogether, because that's happened to me twice so far between both of my YT accounts. =')

Also, I apologize for the negative attention gained from the whole Wack0 situation; I never meant for that to attract any negative attention towards GCL, but I can totally understand how it'd look bad on GCL for harboring a person who illegally intruded into a network (Wack0) and a person who leaked data from that intrusion (me), and I can only imagine how much of a nightmare I/we caused staff as a result. "orz

It sucks to hear that the Wack0 thing was a factor in being a major stressor for ya, and especially a factor in making you feel unsafe. I wholly apologize for the negative vibes I/we brought upon y'all, but I'm deffo glad you're sticking around regardless of position instead of bouncing for good! ^^

Thank you Ganix.